Help. Energy Saver problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JAT, May 30, 2007.

1. JAT macrumors 603

I've given up on the Apple forums, I hope MacRumors can help. Before I ask my question, yes: I have already reset Permissions. (not sure why :rolleyes:) And many other useless attempts to solve my problem, I need a real fix. Also, it is not a user-specific problem, it is in the OS.

Situation:
    Macbook CD. When on AC power, I get many, many beachballs. No PPC software running. Any Intel app running, including simply: Finder. Used to have this problem on battery until I turned off "Put the Hard Disks to sleep when possible". Turned it off for AC, too, no change. This is supposed to be the solution, and it was....halfway. Think something is wrong with the Power or Energy Saver software that it doesn't work on AC.

Question:
    How can I fix this? Maybe replace a specific kext, if I knew which one. Or a Terminal hack to make it work where Energy Saver fails?

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

how much ram do you have? and what exactly do you run

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did you try reseting the SMC:

MacBook, MacBook Pro

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

4. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

1.25GB. But remember, no problems on battery. Pretty sure it isn't the RAM, I've checked it several times with Apple and 3rd party apps.

What do I run? What do you mean? It's a MB CD. 1.83 cpu, not that it matters. And this will happen with nothing more than Finder running, as I mentioned.

I've already tried all the cute little tricks like resetting every piece of hardware I can find. And software. I need something base-level.

5. anushka13 macrumors newbie

Energy saver freaked out my computer.

I put my brand new (30 days!) macbook on energy saver on the advice of the
    manual that comes w/the mac... to try to keep operating temps lower. I was concerned because it seemed to be "running hot" although I don't know what temp it reached. I adjusted this just before bed. When I woke up, my mac
    wouldn't start up! The fan went on high and the hd was making clicking cricket noises... then my start up screen, the apple and the small wheel that goes around would stay up forever... then... nothing. Just a blue screen. And the fan spazzing out. I almost fainted... my new mac? Already with the gitches?
    I restored the hardware, reset the battery, etc. and now I will NEVER touch the energy saver panel again. In my system index the title for the program for energy saver is garbled, like en r g ... and some shoved together letters.
    What gives?