Help! Everyone at my college had their audio disabled!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by niksmart1a, Aug 20, 2014.

1. niksmart1a macrumors newbie

I am currently in college. Yesterday, August 19th, every Mac on campus could not hear any audio. I mean ANYTHING. We could control our volume still, but no noises could be heard. Online videos stopped working as well. Through trial and error, we narrowed it down to the Wifi. When we turned wifi off, sound would work again. When we turned it on, everything went away. We then found out that it specifically deals with AirPlay. Airplay is causing the issue somehow. And this is huge because it affected EVERY Apple computer on campus. We have tried commands to disable apple mirroring, commands to reload audio and video, PRAM and SRAM resets, etc. Nothing is working. We need help. :mad:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Talk to your dorm RM and also check other students that are not you floor. The wireless network could have been hacked, so check your Mac for Trojans.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Apple menu > System Preferences > Audio

If Airplay is highlighted, try click to highlight 'internal speakers' on Output, which will set it as the default device. Could well be as simple as that.