Help: Ex Bricked my Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cRaZy_bread, Dec 5, 2015.

1. cRaZy_bread macrumors newbie

cRaZy_bread

Hello, everyone! I'm looking for some solid advice on "unlocking" an iPhone 6s. I'll give a brief back story and then pose the question.

So, my boyfriend had given me an iPhone 6s a while ago. I was really excited to have such a nice phone, but didn't realize that he didn't buy it outright; the phone is on a 2 year contract and it is under his plan. Fast forward: my boyfriend asks me to move to LA with him. I tell him that I can't drop schooling or familial responsibilities to do so (I take care of elderly family members). At this point, boyfriend flips out.

Verbal abuse and manipulation tactics ensue. He tells me either I move out with him or I never loved him. Yikes. Well, I don't move to LA with him, obviously, and he proceeds to deactivate the service to my phone (via T Mobile) by reporting it stolen. I find out and call T Mobile to make them aware of the situation. I realize the relationship is toxic, so I've cut off contact with him.

So, my question is: How can I possibly get any usage out of this iPhone 6s now? It's under a plan that is not under my name and the ex-boyfriend refuses to reactivate it. Can I jailbreak it and use a different carrier? And how do I do this? Is there another solution I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Unfortunately you can't. If he's had it blocked then the only person that can unblock it is him.

Your best bet is to list it on eBay as blocked and you'll still make a fair bit.

3. cRaZy_bread thread starter macrumors newbie

cRaZy_bread

If anything, this has been a huge lesson. :oops: Even jailbreaking it won't work?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not for a long time. Thing is it's locked in your country but would work in others. So an international listing could make you extra.

5. cRaZy_bread thread starter macrumors newbie

cRaZy_bread

It isn't locked with iPhone, but through T Mobile. ...Does this seem legit? iphoneimei.net I'm sort of clueless about this, tbh.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

It doesn't matter. Once the phone is reported as stolen, the IMEI will be blocked by T-Mobile which means it can't be used with any US carrier. This is an action designed to protect legal owners and after all, your ex-boyfriend is the legal owner. Just do as you've been advised and move on. ;)

7. cRaZy_bread thread starter macrumors newbie

cRaZy_bread

That, he is. All in all, though, I'd rather have a blocked phone than a bad partner any day. Selling it internationally seem slike my best bet.

8. aKansasKid macrumors regular

Since he's the legal owner, why not send it to him?

9. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

My thinking exactly...Story a little fishy to me but oh well...