HELP! Excel for Mac driving me insane

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Milo19, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Milo19 macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I'm new here, and hoping someone can help.

I have created a spreadsheet on Excel for MAC for financial incomings and outgoings of my small business.

Basically, I want a figure at the end to be red if its a minus figure and blue its its plus...so....

Outgoing/Expediture £1500
    Incoming £2500

Excess/Difference column would read £1000 in blue

I cannot seem to get it to work. Should I be using IF's formulae or using the conditioning format?!

HELP!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Many thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Milo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah...thats still not right. I have three columns....

Incoming, outgoing and difference. The difference figure needs to be red if a minus figure and blue if a plus.

This won't do it for me.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might need to post a screen shot of what you are talking about so we can better understand

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What I posted will do exactly that. Just apply that formatting to any cells that you want red/blue, based on negative/positive.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

Agreed.

Condition one should be if value of the cell is greater than 0, then use blue.
    Condition two should be if value of the cell is less than 0, then use red.
    Condition three (if you want) would be black if value is equal to 0.

I'm a meteorologist for an energy company and I use this all the time to show if temperatures are above (red) or below (blue) normal. GGJstudios is exactly right. This is where you need to adjust things to get the results you desire.

7. Milo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, this will not work.

I have put in a screen shot below.

The difference column (AG) needs to work out if "Total Money in" (AD) is less than "total money out (V) then value calculated would be in RED

And vice versa.....

From what i can work out, the method above is if you working with the particular cell.

Attached Files:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't explain fully what you wanted in your original post. Also, your screen shot doesn't show columns, so I can only guess that "Excess/Shortfall" is column AG, "Total Money In" is column AD and "Total Outgoings" is column V. If you want the condition to be based on other cells, you have to choose "Formula Is", rather than "Cell Value Is":
    Picture 1.JPG

9. Milo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhhh........THANK YOU very much.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Can you tell me how to copy that format conditioning down the column?

Thanks again :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once you have formatted the first cell, open the conditional formatting again, remove the dollar signs ($) in the cell references and save the conditional format. Then just grab the lower right corner of the cell and drag it down, which will copy the formula, as well as the formatting.