help exporting movies in iMovie

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
289
0
After editing some video in iMovie, when I try and export it, it won't play on any other machines.

I tried exporting it as a full quality DV Quicktime format movie, and it will save, export and play just fine on the Mac, but when I move the file (about 200 mb) and try to play it in quicktime on another machine, it won't play.

Any ideas? Doesn't make sense that it shouldn't work elsewhere. I am trying to save a copy to back up on my PC, but it just won't work. Thanks for the help...
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1
"Won't play"= no audio? or both video and audio? Have you tried selecting "Expert" settings under Share and maybe selecting mp4 or another format options?
X
 
Comment

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
hmmmm. good question. I hope someone who knows steps up to the plate and helps you out.
 
Comment

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
689
0
Wisconsin
If you mean that your file has no audio when you tried to play it, it might be Muxed, meaning the video and audio is combined into one file, but iMovie doesn't seem to recgonize this. Just look up Demuxing video on Google or whatever, and there's a bunch of programs to do this. In short though you'll have to Demux the video, so that video and audio are two files, and then combine them back into a format that iMovie will recgonize. It's a pain, since I had to do this for a video I shot on an older camera, but it works.
 
Comment

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
822
0
Couple of questions first

lopresmb said:
After editing some video in iMovie, when I try and export it, it won't play on any other machines.

I tried exporting it as a full quality DV Quicktime format movie, and it will save, export and play just fine on the Mac, but when I move the file (about 200 mb) and try to play it in quicktime on another machine, it won't play.

Any ideas? Doesn't make sense that it shouldn't work elsewhere. I am trying to save a copy to back up on my PC, but it just won't work. Thanks for the help...
1. Does the PC have Quicktime for Windows installed?

2. Did you click "Make Self Contained Movie" at the bottom of the export window?
 
Comment

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
289
0
rjphoto said:
1. Does the PC have Quicktime for Windows installed?

2. Did you click "Make Self Contained Movie" at the bottom of the export window?

--thanks for the help, I mean no video and no audio, and yes I do have quicktime for windows installed. It opens the file but won't play anything...its just a blank quicktime video bar

--haven't tried the self contained movie, didn't see it when I tired, I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens...
 
Comment

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
289
0
it worked!

Thanks so much, exporting as a self contained movie allowed it to work on other machines (audio + video)

--One caveat -- my stupid windows box won't recognize the file as a quicktime file, though it will open and play it if I tell it what program to open it with. Weird, but it works, just wodering why that was the case,

but, thanks again
 
Comment

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
2,663
0
Ann Arbor, Michigan
lopresmb said:
Thanks so much, exporting as a self contained movie allowed it to work on other machines (audio + video)

--One caveat -- my stupid windows box won't recognize the file as a quicktime file, though it will open and play it if I tell it what program to open it with. Weird, but it works, just wodering why that was the case,

but, thanks again
Right click the file in Windows and click open with...
Select Quicktime and check the box that says Always use this application
with this file type.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.