Help? External Graphics Card perhaps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craesi, Nov 23, 2015.

1. craesi macrumors newbie

Currently using a mid 2012 mac book pro.
    8 gb RAM
    i5 processor
    Intel 4000 HD.

I was wondering if it would be possible to attach an external hard drive just to boost its capability for gaming. Not asking for something high end just decent enough to run games like starcraft on high, heroes of the storm on high.

I was wondering HOW to do this? Also HOW much it would cost?

I'm sort of a noob to computers though, so please explain in laymen terms.

2. leman macrumors 604

For all practical intends and purposes, no, its not possible.

Extended answer: it is technically possible to connect an external GPU via thunderbolt. However (if you even manage to get it to work), it works only under windows and is quite expensive. I am not even sure if you can buy an enclosure for that nowadays.

3. craesi thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm thanks for the info. Teh main reason why I want to upgrade is because my macbook seems to have a problem with shaders in games? I was wondering if the intel HD 4000 can run shaders? Maybe allocate more memory into VRAM?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Basically the HD4000 is the last really rubbish intel integrated graphics solution, there is literally nothing you can do short of buying a new laptop with better graphics.

You can run an external dGPU over thunderbolt 2 but I think your machine is TB1 so that isn't worth the effort and would cost about the same as a new laptop.