Help - External HD problems (MBP/WD MyBook Pro II)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gswearengin, Oct 29, 2007.

1. gswearengin macrumors newbie

Howdy,

First of all, here is a quick description of my hardware:

~MBP 2.4 C2D, 2GB (running Tiger)
    ~Western Digital MyBook Pro II 1TB (RAID1, configured as 500GB)
    ~Drive connected directly to laptop via FW800 cable

I was hoping to move my iTunes library to the external HD, but things have not been going well so far. The problem is that after it's been playing for a while, songs begin to "sputter," meaning that approximately 2-3 times per song, it will stop playing for 3-5 seconds and then continue where it left off. Very annoying! I've played with software settings and can't figure anything out.

I'm assuming this is not too much to ask of a 7200GB drive connected via FW800. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have you run into this problem before?

I've had the drive for a couple weeks now and it really has not been a pleasant experience over all. I'm thinking about sending it back and picking up something else, but I'm not sure what. Anyone got any recommendations?

Any and all replies appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

2. cuanurse macrumors regular

Once you moved the library are you finding that you have to individually find each song/ movie for itunes?

As for the choppiness, using a Lacie d2 I haven't had any issues.

3. gswearengin thread starter macrumors newbie

Heya, thanks for the reply. I have no problems seeing files in iTunes, finder, etc. The main problem really is just the choppiness. But when you're using it as a jukebox, it gets really annoying!

I do have some other frustrations with the drive, but they don't appear to indicate any sort of serious problems.

Thanks,

Gary