Help!!! External network hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by azdunerat, Mar 29, 2011.

1. azdunerat macrumors regular

I have had a lacie 2big external HDD that has been connected to my airport extreme for 2 years with no problems. This morning when I turned on the laptop I got a server failed to mount message. I went into my office and the drive was spun up and the blue light flashing like it was tranfering a lot of data. I turned the drive off and left it for the day.

When I came home I plugged the drive directly into my mac mini and it mounted fine and everything was fine with the exception that the drives would not spin down unless ejected. When I plug it back into the router it spins up and lights start flashing again and the drive cannot be used.

Has anyone had this before and is it a setting that I can change or a symptom of a more serious problem. I have my laptop and mac mini saved to this drive as a TM back up and then about 50-60 movies for plex.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Aaron

2. azdunerat thread starter macrumors regular

Well after trouble shooting this for an hour or so I traced the problem down to the USB splitter I have connected to the AEBS so I could use the HD and a printer on the network. I removed the splitter and the HD works perfect again, so happy it wasnt a major issue.