Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Newest update: I now am able to unzip Hennesie2000's already-patched installer and get Yosemite up and running correctly. I think the problem I had before is just I messed up the part about the kernel. Now finger crossed for be to patch the scripts and get some updates.
UPDATE: I was able to use the installer's terminal to swap back the OS X Lion stock boot.efi, and I can boot into my original Lion again. I am not sure why this is happening. It seems to me that Picker-Alpha's boot.efi is not working and causing the problem? Odd. I've seen somebody in the forum having similar problems as mine, and I'll dig further by reading more of their follow ups.

I was trying to install Yosemite on my Mac Pro 1,1 following instructions from here
posted in this thread:
I was able to pretty much finish everything in the instruction, including creating and modifying the USB installer, as well as replacing boot.efi in three mentioned places. Just when I think I'm all set, I restarted the Mac and this happened:
bzjp1YJ.jpg

When I hold "option" on startup, there is, however, an option to boot into the USB installer I've created. So I went ahead and did the installation of Yosemite. The installation looked normal (except the "sluggish refresh rate" and a bit graphics lags, guessing due to the unsupported old legacy graphics card.) After installing Yosemite, it rebooted, and things are pretty much the same except I now can't even hear the sound of chime when booting a Mac.

So, basically now I have four boot options:
sLyUS6u.jpg

"MacPro" the original OS X Lion, results in the faulting message.
"Untitled" the newly installed OS X Yosemite, results in the faulting messaging, no sound of chime.
"Recovery-10.10" supposedly Yosemite's recovery, results in the same faulting message.
"OS X Base System" the USB Yosemite Installer, able to get in normally. Can install system, access Firmware Password Utility, Disk Utility, Terminal, and System Information.

Please help as I am new to everything Mac and need it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.