Help: Failed photo import still takes up disk space

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by davidinva, Apr 1, 2013.

1. davidinva, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013

davidinva macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the long post. I recently got a copy of Photoshop Elements 11 and decided to use the Organizer. One option is to import photos from an iPhoto Library. Started the process of copying some 36,000 photos. This would take 2-3 hours on my 2008 Macbook. It was up to 30% of library imported, and I left my computer unattended. When I returned, there was a message saying the import failed because of some undetermined error.

Space left on my hard drive went from 136 GB to 440 MB. There is no Adobe photo library folder that I can find, but when I search in Spotlight for Adobe, some 10,000 items show up with what looks like individual photos from iPhoto that were imported to Adobe. I can move (one at a time) the individual photos to the trash, but can't select the whole list because there are other Adobe files in there that I don't want to delete. The photos also do not show up in the Organizer. Where to go from here? Thanks.

Update: I unmounted my external hard drives and found that most of the files from my iPhoto Library had copies to my hard drive, but did not show up in the Organizer. I deleted that file (almost 120 GB) and my hard drive space returned to where it was.

2. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Glad to hear you got it sorted. If ever anything like this happens for anyone else and you want to get rid of just the jpeg files for example. View the contents as a list, in the top field (with Name, Size, etc...) right click and make sure "Date Added" is ticked. Click the title of "Date Added" and the contents will be arranged by date (if you click that title again they will reverse order), making it easy to select a whole batch that were added at the same time. You could of course do the same thing but with "Kind" and then select all jpegs, which could be dangerous if you added jpegs at multiple times and want to only get rid of some, in which case you would use "Date Added".