Help!: Fan started sounding really loud, and MBP feels somewhat hot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Feb 17, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

This is the first time I've had this issue happen.
    Basically I was using my MBP as usual. (nothing special), then I noticed the fan sounding way louder than usual, and if I touch the part where the edge of the display top of the keyboard meet, it feels warm. (a bit more than usual I think). Right now it's quiet. Perhaps I ran some program/script that overheated my MBP? What should I do? (already reboot)

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The processor can withstand temps up to 210 degrease. If the mbp was on your lap, it is more likely to heat up faster. Flash content among other things works the processor more thus turning on the fans.

Your MBP is most likely functioning normally.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly! must have been that!, well, thx!!

4. lizcat68 macrumors newbie

lizcat68

Yeah, that's it. Your MBP's fine, it happens to mine all the time. XD

5. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

That happens to mine as well. It's like the fan kicks into overdrive and the computer heats up enough to like burn my leg.

6. c1phr macrumors 6502

Just wanted to add real quick too, that the area that you felt (between the keyboard and the screen) is one of the hottest (if not the hottest) part of the outer case.

Otherwise though, I would say it's probably fine.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Hard drive has to go. This will solve heating problems.

I hope apple gets rid of Hard drive on all of their notebooks and move on to complete flash for storage. While I realize that flash is very expensive. We already see 256 GB SSD on MBA. It won't be too long before it reaches 512 GB SSD.

Getting of Hard drives apple and put more fans and bigger battery.

8. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Yeah, that's the part on mine that heats up to highly uncomfortable temperatures.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The hard drive isn't what generates most of the heat. In fact, of all the components, only the enclosure base is cooler than the hard drive. The GPU and CPU are the big furnaces. Changing from a hard drive to SSD will do little or nothing to solve heat problems.
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Which model do you have?

My 15" occasionally gets really hot and the fans kick in on full blast, typically only when I am also using the nVidia graphics to run a second display. After a few minutes with the fan though it returns to normal temperatures.