HELP! FAST! MBP 5,5 2.26 gz SUPERDRIVE

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silverrune, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Silverrune macrumors regular

So long story short, some coke might have found it's way into my optical drive. Stupid, I know... So what happened was I thought that only the cloth/sponge, on the outside had gotten wet. I was very wrong. I put my disk part way in and pulled it out to see if the cloth was dry, it was. So I stuck my disk in all the way and it was accepted... So far so good. Now when I tried to eject the disk, it won't. It repeats the ejecting sound (mechanical sound) and the disk won't come out. Worst case scenario, I take apart my *sister's new computer* tomorrow when I get home from Italy. Ya it's my sisters now, I got a new
    non-rMBP 9,2 which I plan to upgrade as soon as I get a new SSD and ram. Any tips on cleaning it/getting the disk out for the time being? :mad: :eek: :eek:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Which type of coke did you spill on it? Coco-Cola or some blow? :p

Sounds to me like you'll either have to take the chassis apart yourself to get the disc out and clean up inside there. Or better, you might take it into an Apple Store and have them do it.

3. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I know how to take it apart, I have done it many times before. I was looking for tips on cleaning the optical drive. Seeing as it's no longer under warranty.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Ok. Can you post some pics of the drive so we can see what you're seeing? The best I could recommend would be to use a lightly damp, lint-free cloth and gently clean up with that.

5. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

I can try tomorrow. As I am in italy, I don't have my tools. If I can get over the 8 hour time change I will do it tomorrow when I get home.

6. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

The coke in there is gonna stain/crust by then... you're probably going to have to buy a new optical drive on eBay and do a full replacement. Hopefully it's just the optical drive that's damaged.

7. Silverrune thread starter macrumors regular

Everything else seems to be in tip top shape. Just like before, keyboard is fine, screen is fine, lights/everything else seem fine. It's only the optical drive giving me trouble. Most of the coke was soaked up by the case I had on it so only a little was able to get through in the time before I noticed.

----------

Any links to a new optical bay? Just in case ;)