Help!!!!!! Fast!!! Ms Word!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AutumnSkyline, Apr 22, 2007.

1. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

So im typing a 10 page report for my history class and all of a sudden it starts beachballing, and now it wont stop. I took a screen capture of how many words I wrote (yeah Im on the last page GO FIGURE) and now i don't know what to do. There are no other copies of it or anything....Oh, and its due tomorrow.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You did save it often didn't you?
    Or have Autosave set up for a short time.

The only option is to force quit.

3. AutumnSkyline thread starter macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Hehe, no, I didn't count on MS word being stupid, but you know, it is microsoft. I'm pretty sure I have some autosave on, but i'm not going to take my chances and force quit and have my work gone!

4. bartelby macrumors Core

You typed 10 pages without saving, not even once?:eek:

You could hand in your beachballing computer and hope they can mark it:(

5. AutumnSkyline thread starter macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

haha, I'm not too worried, he's easy going, I took a screen capture so Ill print it out beg and plead and ask for an extension.

6. bkvideography macrumors member

how about you stop using microsoft software on a mac and buy Pages - apple's own version of word!

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Word MAY have saved the document. Spotlight part of the title (it will not be exactly) the one you used. If you never saved it, I think it defaults to the first x number of characters on the page. Or, it may be Document1. I do not recall exactly. The default detting is to autosave, so you may have lucked out. You are not getting your work done any faster by watching the beachball. You might as well kill it and hope for the best.

ALWAYS SAVE YOUR WORK! How many times do need to get burned to learn this?

8. AutumnSkyline thread starter macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

alrighty so I killed it, the document came also back as good as new (im only missing 5 sentences) I guess I'm backup up from now on : P thank you all for support

9. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm glad you got it back!
    :)

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Go buy a lottery ticket - today is your day. Hope your paper turns out well! ;)

11. AutumnSkyline thread starter macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

Naw, I'm going for ice cream (plus I'm like 15...can't buy a lotto ticket, but I wish I could!) Thanks! The paper will be fantastic:D :apple: It is about evolution vs. Intelligent design.

12. midget3111 macrumors newbie

well

i am a 14 yr old student and for all my word processing needs i use neo office, its a nice piece of kit:cool:

13. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

As far as I know, Word usually recovers files upon a crash (or force-quit) no matter if auto-save is turned on or not. Generally though, keep it turned on. :rolleyes:

And as far as losing work goes... I've (re-)written some of the best essays after having lost the original due to a software-error. It sucks, but it's definitely not the end of the world.