help! FCP not importing audio with video files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macattack23, Dec 3, 2010.

1. macattack23 macrumors newbie

hi --

I'm trying to import .mpeg files to my FCP (6.0.5) timeline, but for some reason it will only import the video, no audio. The audio won't play in the viewer or the timeline (in fact it doesn't come up as having audio at all).

the audio meters aren't picking up any signs of audio, but when i play it in imovie, audio sounds fine.

I've tried switching audio playback settings from default to built-in output, but neither is working. I've tried rebooting. I don't know what else to do...

Does anyone have a cure?

Thanks very much!

ps. i have a mac os x if that makes a difference...

2. -DH macrumors 65816

MPEG files typically have muxed (multiplexed) audio and video. You'll need to demux the file to use it in FCP. MPEG Streamclip (freeware) can usually handle that task. Make sure you convert to the codec that matches your FCP Sequence settings.

-DH

3. macattack23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'll look into downloading it.

The strange part is, my FCP had no trouple with the audio when I imported the same .mpeg clip a week ago...

The first time I noticed the audio wasn't playing on the .mpegs was the same day I had a pop-up from FCP when logging in. It said something about being unable to locate firewire....could that have affected the audio? and if so, is there a different solution than the streamclip?

I appreciate the feedback! I'm a novice to FCP, and teaching myself one step at a time.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

That is very odd. FCP has NEVER worked with muxed files - they must be converted prior to importing into FCP.

That warning merely means that FCP did not detect a working DV device (DV camcorder, VTR or DV converter) when it was launching. You can turn off that warning permanently in FCP's preferences or on the warning box itself.

-DH

5. macattack23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I converted to MOV and got audio. the one thing i'm still working on is figuring out the appropriate settings in the conversion.

I tried to match from the audio/video settings, but then though it ultimately let me edit the video, when i dropped it into the timeline, i got a message saying the settings still do not match...how do i match settings?

Thanks again.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Simple answer? Pay attention to every detail of every setting. Here's a tutorial for using MPEG Streamclip: http://www.secondchairvideo.com/?p=739

-DH