Help figuring out drive set up for Newbie

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darlenea, Aug 23, 2010.

1. darlenea macrumors member

I have been reading every thread for the past twenty days and feel like I am starting to get a pretty good sense on what I need to do. This will be my first Mac. I have been waiting since the first of year to purchase this.

I am purchasing a 3.33 6 core with a 5870 video card. After market I will adding 24 gb of OWC ram, four 2 tb Hitachi 7K2000 drives and at least one ssd drive for the OS system and programs - I am leaning towards the OWC 240gb model.

I do not earn my living with this but do a lot of work for non profits - like photo restoration for our historical society (especially glass negatives) and videos for other nonprofits. I own CS4 Master suite and plan to upgrade to CS5 Master suite with this new Mac. I also do shows for funerals with proshow producer so the sytem needs to be reliable and work when I really need it to work.

My present system has 750 gb of photos, etc on it and I have two cards in raid 1 for redundancy - plus everything is backed up on Carbonite - it took 6 months for the first backup, plus I do backups on external drives and keep them at two different places. Can you tell that I am paranoid on backups. I have lost about 5 or 6 drives since I started with an Amiga back in the early 1980's and so far have been lucky enough to not lose any real data. I had to have a fight with Dell on site guy to save my raid. He was mixing up the drives and going to wipe out my back up - I made him verify which was which and he was wrong - that did not make him a happy camper - but I had my data.

Okay to my questions. I understand how to set up the Mac side but I also need to run two programs in Windows. ProShow Producer and FotoFusion. I have called both companies and they will work in Windows & 64 bit - and in reading in this forum and other forums about ProSHow Producer ( the buggiest but best program I have ever worked with) works best in Boot Camp so that is the way I need to go. I am also going to run AVG on the Windows side since it seems to interfere with ProShow Producer the least.

I need to easily access my photos and video from the Mac side for both of these programs.

I understand that if I use raid I cannot access those discs with windows????
    Can I set up a second ssd and easily run windons on it in bootcamp and have it boot okay? I have read several thread about buying cables and splicing them etc, but even though I have been into computers for a long time I am not into doing much internal modification.

What if I set up a particion on three of the internal harddrives in Raid 0 - total space of 300 gb for a scratch disc. Will it work if these are not tnerprise jobs if I am not storing data on them ? Can I leave the rest of those drives unraided and would they be then accessible to the windows side.

Initially I would leave the 4 th drive so I can backup to it via time machine - losing an hours worth of work would not be a big deal to me plus I would continue to use two 2 tb external drives as backup for my offsite files.

It seems like I will need to particion these for the MAc side and for the Windows NTSC side - this is where I am lost agin? What program do I use to do this? Will time machin back up my windows side also.

Also if I do not raid the rest of my 3 TB cards, except for the scratch disc, can my windows program just read the files on the Mac side using Snow Leaopard or do I need one of the special programs like MacDrive8 - I have read conflictin answers on this or maybe I just have not been in the Mac world long enough to understand the terminology. If I need a progrma what program is best? Thanks for reading my rambling post.

I really need help making my windows system work. Also can I put my old Window copy of CS4 of the windows side and use my updated MAc CS5 version on the Mac side?

Darlenea

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. AFAIK, software RAID will not work with both OSs but with a proper RAID card (=hardware RAID), it should work. I'm not 100% sure though.

2. If you put the SSD in one of the HD bays, it should work fine but it won't work if you put in optical bay (Windows will not recognize it). If you're running out of HD bays, you can simply add an eSATA PCIe card, those may be cheaper from 3rd parties but that will at least work. Then use them in external enclosure.

3. Again, it sounds like you're running out of HD bays so I would invest on this for example, use it via eSATA for fast operation.

4. Time Machine will not backup your Boot Camp partition, you can use WinClone for that or back it up when in Windows.

5. You can read the files in Mac HD from Boot Camp but you cannot write to the Mac disks.

6. If you upgrade your CS4 to CS5, my understanding is that your serial won't work with CS4 then as it has already been used with CS5. What I would do is change your license from Windows to Mac (costs like 20 bucks) and then upgrade it to the CS5, costs you a lot less than buying the whole Master Collection again

3. darlenea thread starter macrumors member

another question on using mac files on the windows side

Thanks for the help.

I guess I will not be using window on a ssd since I do not want to give up a HD bay.

I will check into the external storage you suggested.

In furthur reading I don't think I need a scratch disc due to my 24 gb of ram so I will just point photoshop to a drive that I am not using for windows and that has empty space. Does this make sense?

One more question -when you say that windows can access the mac files but not write to the mac side. Does this mean I can open a video or picture form the mac side and use them in the windows and than save the project in windows - but not save it in the Mac side? If it works this way this would be great. Thanks Darlene

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. You can open files just fine but they have to be saved to the Windows HD but that is readable by OS X so you should have no issues