Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machomer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Can any help me figure out where my HD space has gone? My HD has 148 GB Capacity, and it has 107 GB available. I clicked on Get Info on each of the Items in Finder and it doesn't add up to the 41 GB of used space.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Not used WhatSize, but it looks similar to OmniDiskSweeper, which I do use. I also use Disk Inventory X, which is very pretty!

However, I don't think any of these utilities will pick up any files which aren't in the account you're running them from (which does make sense from a security point of view). I was struggling for space on my old iBook for months until I eventually realised that my Girlfriend had loaded 5Gb of MP3s onto her account. Neither ODS or DIX spotted that!

SL

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not used WhatSize, but it looks similar to OmniDiskSweeper, which I do use. I also use Disk Inventory X, which is very pretty!

However, I don't think any of these utilities will pick up any files which aren't in the account you're running them from (which does make sense from a security point of view). I was struggling for space on my old iBook for months until I eventually realised that my Girlfriend had loaded 5Gb of MP3s onto her account. Neither ODS or DIX spotted that!

SL
Quite true, if you don't have permission to see the files in a user directory then these utilities won't size them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.