Help filling in Excel form

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Madwitch, May 12, 2016.

1. Madwitch macrumors newbie

Madwitch

I have a certificate on excel which covers 25 columns and 69 lines. I need to insert information into about 10 of the cells (the rest of the information is the same). Unfortunately the spreadsheet is too big to transfer to Word, otherwise I'd use Mail Merge. Is there a way of doing this without having to insert the information into each form? I have about 2000 to do on this round (they are electrical test inspection certificates, and there will be another 5000 or so shortly!) and any way of making this a bit quicker would be welcome.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can probably write a macro that will do it but you'll have to do a fair bit of research to learn how to write one. If you are lucky there will be something online that does what you want.

3. Madwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Madwitch

Ah thanks. Steep learning curve coming up! I'm not sure of the technicals but I gather Word has a behind the scenes command which tells it to put each record on a new page - and this bit is missing in Excel.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I like to keep things simple with VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP. The biggest drawback is your data has to be a specific format. I have a spreadsheet where I have to enter customer information (12 different cells). With VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, I enter the customer's name, everything gets filled out automatically. For thousands of entries, I would add another column numbered from 1 to 1000 (or whatever) as the look up reference.

As long as the raw data is consistent (names, address, phone #, grade, date all in their own columns) then this would work. The look up data on one sheet, the actual spreadsheet on another.

5. Madwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Madwitch

Thanks for this - it's yonks since I used lookups - again, going to have to do some homework!