Help...Finally ready to upgrade to S6 or 6+

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The.316, Jun 5, 2015.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

So Im ready to upgrade from my iPhone 5. I would have liked to wait and see what the 6+s has in store, but to be honest, I dont really have the money it would cost for an unlocked (live in Greece) 64gb 6+s. I have found a few 6+ 64gb for around $600-700, and some S6's for around $600, but I dont know which one to go with. I am a Apple homer, as evident by my sig, but the S6, and its specs, just look amazing. I dont care if the 6+ has 64gb and the S6 32gb, because both suit me better than the 16gb I currently have on my iPhone 5. I just dont know which way to go. The specs look much better on the S6, but I have never thought about going to Android until now. I can even go with the S6 Edge for roughly the same price as the S6, but I think that the Edge is nothing more than a fad that will not catch on. Any help out there?

2. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

Have a couple trains of thought for you. Have you considered a 6? I had a 6 before I sold it for my 6 plus and it was absolutely phenomenal. Only reason I sold it was for the better battery life of the plus and higher res display. Couldn't tell a difference in display quality unless it was literally right up to my eye. The speed and chip between the two phones is exactly the same. Only differences between the two are battery life, optical image stabilization which is a nice feature but my 6's photos looked just as good to me as my +, and screen size. That's it. The resolution between the two is a non issue. My eye could certainly tell a huge difference between non-retina-retina iphones but once you get above 300ppi it really is a non issue. My final pc build had a i7 3930k, 16gb ram, 2x gtx 680's. Point being I was a huge spec guy. That was all I cared about. I've finally realized that they don't matter near as much as they used to. Got a 6 Plus because I thought a 1920x1080 display would look better than a 1334x750 display...couldn't tell a difference. Quad HD in a phone is absolutely absurd. Mostly a marketing gimmick. Couldn't tell a difference in my 6 plus display to an S6 edge display pixel wise even though the edge is smaller and quad hd so it has dramatically higher ppi. You'd think there'd be a difference. The S6 specs will put you at a disadvantage and i'll explain to you why. The A8 chip really holds it's own against the snapdragon of the S6. Both phones are snappy but you'd be at a huge disadvantage playing games with the s6 and you'll get significantly better gaming performance on the iPhone. The S6 is pushing games at quad hd where the iPhone 6 and 6 plus are pushing games at 750P and 1080p respectively and you won't notice a difference in the display quality. Anyone who says they can are either absolutely obsessed with specs and think higher numbers = better, hold the phone directly, and I mean directly, up to their eye, or have superhuman eyesight. Apple's iPhones aren't quad hd for a reason. The S6 is a really great android phone and if you value customization and the options Android gives you than go for that...if I were getting an android phone i'd get the LG G4. Could get one cheaper than the S6, at 5.5 inches with expandable storage and a removable battery. Great Android phone. I'd personally recommend an iPhone to you though for the fact that I prefer it, you have an iMac, MBP, and iPad, and you've used an iPhone 5. You'd be extremely happy with an iPhone 6/6+ and you may be just as happy with an S6 or other android phone but you already have an iPhone and it ties into the ecosystem and syncs seamlessly. You could get a 64gb 6 for the same unlocked price as you'd get a 16GB 6 Plus. Take the cores for example: AMD has had 8 core processors for quite a while and the Intel Quad Core i5's i7's absolutely smoke them. More cores doesn't equate to more performance.

3. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I worked for Verizon Wireless when Apple first released the iPhone, and I was so jealous back then. I moved to Greece in 2008, and I bought my first iPhone in 2009. It was my 2nd touch screen phone (first was an Lg KU990/Viewty) and boy was I hooked. I went from the 4 to 5 and was impressed with the screen size upgrade, but now I want something bigger. Im a big guy, 6-2, and I like the 6+ size, but to be honest, I kinda like the size of the iPhone 6 too. Its obviously a big difference from my 5, but I just need to figure out if the 6+ is too big for me. They have both here were I live, so Ive seen the size difference already, and Im going to check it out again before I make a decision.

Regarding the S6, I will honestly say that the specs do intrigue me. Without the info you told me, I see the processor, and the ram, and think that the S6 is a much faster phone. Ive watched a bunch of videos online comparing the two phones, and seen that the iPhone does stack up well against the S6. I do also like that the S6 records in 4k, but that is hardly a deciding factor. I am a tech maniac, and I read about everything that is out, and coming out, like the G4, but i want to decide between the S6 and iPhone 6+, or iPhone 6 now as well.

I do like the customization part a bit, but that was always fixed for me when I was able to JB my iPhone 5. And by customization, I mean simple things, not to the extreme like different themes. My friends have Android phones, and like I said, Im a tech maniac, so I can get use to it pretty fast, but I still have that Apple fanboy in me holding me back. I just see the iPhone, with its lesser specs, as the king of the mountain, and everyone else always a bit lower on that mountain.

4. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I think you'll be happy with whatever you choose. The S6 is a really good phone. I'd suggest playing with both phones and making as informed of a decision you can. Just be aware you'll lose the ecosystem that you have. Android phones sync perfectly fine with macs it's just not as seamless. You really will be happy with either phone. I don't think specs are a factor. They're both incredibly capable phones and since apple makes the hardware and software it needs a lot less resources. It's apples to oranges. I personally would be very happy with an S6 just not as happy as i'd be with an iPhone. It's all preference. Keep one thing in mind...unless you like flashing ROMS you're not even guaranteed a software update on Android phones. It's gotten a ton better over the last 2 years and Samsung does a good job on making sure it's devices get the latest OS but two years down the road you might be left in the dust. Just a train of thought. Just play around with the S6/6/6+ and get the one that feels right regardless of which one it may be. Best of luck with your choice!