HELP !!!!!! Finally Switched

Discussion in 'iMac' started by vramd, May 16, 2008.

1. vramd macrumors newbie

Anyone have suggestions on must have software or accessories that I should pick up? thanks.

So, after almost a year of debate, waiting for refreshes, deciding between laptop and desktop, and trolling these boards, I just pulled the trigger on my first Mac. 20 inch 2.66 from Amazon. Got it in my Goldbox - $1345 AR shipped. Can't wait!

2. mastershakess macrumors 6502

3. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Sounds like a great first mac - your gonna love it!.

Welcome to joy of Mac!

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I registered at the site in May 2003, with interest in buying my first Mac. I didnt get one (intel mini) until May 2006 :D

5. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Congrats...and welcome to the Mac community :cool:

6. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

I never get items like that in my gold box. how did you do it?

7. vramd thread starter macrumors newbie

You need to set up a new account with no order history. . .then navigate to the AppleCare for imac and check "I own it." Then wait . . . . !! It took a few days, but before I got it, I also had the 24 inch in my goldbox, and the entry level 20 inch., and a macbook pro. You may need to set up a few new accounts, but with patience, you should be able to get it. Good luck.

8. vramd thread starter macrumors newbie

still waiting . . .

Im still waiting for delivery of my new imac. Anyone have suggestions on must have software or accessories that I should pick up? thanks.

9. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Apple iWork (1000% better than Office for SOHO cos it works and it's easy to use and it's cheap!) , Airport Express (wireless music streaming from iTunes - awesome!)

Downloadable essentials ;

Handbrake (DVD ripper - free), Tube TV (rip youtube vids - free), Pixelmator (if you need an Open GL based Photoshop 'lite' that is $60), VLC (vid player - free), Google Earth ( free),

Any Pro Apps - check the Apple stuff first - it's arguably all best in class and the most stable and inexpensive way to great creative results..

10. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Start by exploring the software that comes with the computer. While you're ordering at Amazon get a copy of David Pogue's Switching to the Mac. Once you know how things are supposed to work, you can start changing it.

11. mzd macrumors 6502a

Congrats!!!
    as for accessories, the first i'd recommend is some external hdd for time machine.

12. vramd thread starter macrumors newbie

13. mzd macrumors 6502a

it is more or less compatible (iWork).
    you can export to doc or ppt or xls, but can't directly save them. that means you have two versions of the file - one iWork and one exported Office compatible. that may or may not be annoying depending on your personal workflow. also, not all formatting & functions are 100% compatible. most are, but not all. so you will occasionally get warnings when you export/import office files.

14. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Mac OS X leopard Pocket Guide, published by O'Reilly

Helped me as a new switcher

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol has anyone sceen the new time machine commerical for mac with the pc lol

16. kblesmis macrumors newbie

Good Application

There is this free application called Quicksilver. You give a key combination to it, ex. alt space, and then you can launch any application by typing the first few letters.

For example, I would type alt space, and syp. This would open System Preferences.

It is a very useful way to get to programs that you don't usually use. Hope you enjoy. :D

17. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

18. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i use creative suite cs3 which is 1800 so i dont recomend to buy it maybe photoshop a older version or somthing if u need it neo office or open office for a lik ms office i use 08 of ms office but its a fare mount of money so try neo office or open office

19. vramd thread starter macrumors newbie

Question about Parallels

Also, im thinking of installing Parallels w xp. If i do that, and Parallels is open, and hook up a usb devices, say a digital camera, will the camera be recognized by the mac OS, or by windows?

20. mzd macrumors 6502a

21. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

use boot camp if u have xp its much better and i tried both i prefer bootcamp more individual i can hook anything up and its to windows of course :D

22. vramd thread starter macrumors newbie

do i need antivirus b/c i am using windows? can a virus affect the mac part of the computer?

23. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

u should it only virses the partition but u should still otherwise its still gunna be screwed and u wont wanna use ur wasted bit of disc space

24. GotPro macrumors 6502

Just to let you know... you can do that already natively within OS X.

It's called Spotlight...

Just type shift-spacebar, and the spotlight window pops up.

Then type "syp" and hit enter...

And you didn't have to pay for it ;-)