Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
So like many here, I too received an iPad for Christmas.
I'm looking for apps but I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for.
Maybe someone can chime in and help out??

I'm looking for business/utility apps that I can use for my home/car/business.

Is there an app that will help track your car maintenance?
I used to have one on my iPhone but but lost it and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it.

Are there any good apps for the business owner that will help track inventory, sales, expenses, bills, etc...? I keep finding software and programs which is fine and dandy but I'd like to find an app as well.

What apps are you guys using for your homes?

I keep reading about Air Video and while I think I understand I'm not 100% sure I do. So with AV, you can stream videos from your desktop to iPad.
But only if you are in your network range, right? You can't go on vacation and stream videos from Florida to Chicago, right?

What about printing from iPad? Some of the apps I've found have really gotten poor reviews. Others don't support my printer, HP C4700.

Thanks all!

Thanks all!

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Hey there. I would try searching on the iTunes store for "car". You can do it right from your iPad.

For business apps I'd recommend looking in the Productivity category for starters and see if you see free/cheap apps in there to try out.

I don't do any home automation or anything... I use the iPad for writing and for games. Air Video will not stream to your Mac without a hack, but it lets your stream iPad to Apple TV. I don't believe it lets you stream TO iPad.

If you want to put movies on your iPad download a free program called Handbrake and feed it whatever avi/mpeg/DVD you have. Then copy the output to iTunes and then sync. You can also search for "Handbrake" on this and iPhone forum for more info and details since a lot of people use the program.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Hey there. I would try searching on the iTunes store for "car". You can do it right from your iPad.

For business apps I'd recommend looking in the Productivity category for starters and see if you see free/cheap apps in there to try out.

I don't do any home automation or anything... I use the iPad for writing and for games. Air Video will not stream to your Mac without a hack, but it lets your stream iPad to Apple TV. I don't believe it lets you stream TO iPad.

If you want to put movies on your iPad download a free program called Handbrake and feed it whatever avi/mpeg/DVD you have. Then copy the output to iTunes and then sync. You can also search for "Handbrake" on this and iPhone forum for more info and details since a lot of people use the program.

Car Cubby... that's the app I was looking for, LOL. I kept typing automotive and all I got were magazines. I see CC is only an iPhone app, darn.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.