HELP!!!! Finder doesn't open folders/preview & apps gone missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adrianski, Nov 26, 2011.

1. adrianski, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

adrianski macrumors newbie

So i was sorting through my gazillion of photos last night and decided to also delete some photo editing programs i do not use at the moment to have some more space on my 3 year old macbook for the time being, and using CleanMyMac app, i removed aperture 3 and lightroom2 and lightroom 3Beta.

I dont know what happened but my preview app doesnt want to work anymore and quickview doesnt show previews as it did, ie only thumbnails of JPGs. I restarted the system only to find out that now even the folders images dont show, only the names underneath. And i cannot open them either. I tried opening iPhoto, but it said that it aborted as the image could not be found.

Using Bridge i amanged to get into the folders and everything is still there safe and sound. Only my Apps are not there, image wise, but kinda are. And funny enough it affected skype - no text is showing in the msg window.

I ran permission verification with some warnings and disk verification didnt complete vecause there were some number of.. not sure what it was... not matching. I just tried running it again to give exact details but i cannot find disk utility?!!?!?!?! doesn't come up in spotlight.

What did i do wrong?! What do i do?! PLS PLS help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

i am running mac os x 10.5.8

2. simsaladimbamba

CleanMyMac probably cleaned too much:
    If you have your grey Restore DVDs, you could do an Archive and Install or if you want Snow Leopard, you could spend 29 USD to get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD and upgrade your system and thus repair it all without losing any of your data, though you should look into backing up your data and OS, in case something like this happens.

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

3. adrianski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I suppose that happened. Will this still save all my files or should i try and transfer them to an external HD.

4. simsaladimbamba

It will not delete your files, but backing them up before the procedure of reinstalling Mac OS X should be done nonetheless. Use CarbonCopyCloner to make a 1:1 copy of your home folder (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU) to an external HDD, which should use "Mac OS Extended (HFS+)" as format.
    Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format [​IMG][/INDENT]

Copying the home folder via Finder might not work 100% due to some permission settings.

5. adrianski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I will get onto the backing up first and see how i go with that. :)

----------

Will all the missing image errors copy on the back up and give me the same problem once i reinstall the OS

6. adrianski thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I ran disk repair from the installation dvd where it all went well and is repaired however the issue persists. when running permission repair the following results came up...

Permissions differ on "Library/Application Support/ProApps/Internal Plug-Ins/BrowserKit/iLife.bkplugin/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BrowserKit.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources ", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ProKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Leopard Panels.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/ConfigWind.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/MoveToplev.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_ChangeWindowAttributes.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_ConfigureWindow.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_DefineCursor.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_MoveResizeWindow.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_MoveToplevelWindow.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_MoveWindow.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_ResizeWindow.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowBackground.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowBackgroundPixmap.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowBorder.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowBorderPixmap.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowBorderWidth.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_SetWindowColormap.3tcl.gz".
    ACL found but not expected on "usr/share/man/man3/Tk_UndefineCursor.3tcl.gz".
    Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/ODBC Administrator.app/Contents/Resources/iodbcadmintool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "Applications/System Preferences.app/Contents/Resources/installAssistant" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app/Contents/Resources/kcproxy" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources /DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on "Applications/Utilities".

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

None of those permissions should cause the problems you mentioned. If a cleaner program deleted thumbnails of photos, that shouldn't be such a big deal, but there are only two cleanup programs I'd recommend.

Onyx which is free, and Disk warrior which is $80 or $100 or something like that. With either one you must check the version that you install or boot from in the case of Disk Warrior to ensure it's compatible with the version of OSX you are using. They should be quite safe if used correctly, but could mess things up if you're using a mismatched version (really I'm not sure if it's possible to do so, but I'm warning you just in case).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. adrianski thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.

i reinstalled OS and all is working and visible.. just iPhoto isnt opening because of the same issue as before... image missing.