Help! Finder files in disorder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GRMM, Jan 9, 2013.

1. GRMM macrumors member

First of all hi everyone! This is my first post.

I have been having this problem for a while now, let me explain. When I open the Finder and go to Documents sometimes the files appear in complete disorder, as you can see in the image I'm attaching. As you can also see in the image, I have organized my files by name. The only way I've found to solve this is to change the organized by to another option and then return to the option y like. But I want to solve the problem. Any idea on what is happening?

Thanks a lot

P.S.: I've cut some names and sensible information.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click View > as List and your arrangement will work fine. Icon view is less reliable, as some items may not appear in the window.

3. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

This is one thing that has bothered me about OS X for a while now. Finder windows in icon view don't enforce a grid.

I don't see any good reason for it, but I think Mac purists view this as a positive trait. They might say that this behavior allows items to stay where you put them, and that this will in turn make it easier for you find things according to your memory of where you placed them. I don't agree. In this one minor case, I prefer the enforced order one might find in Microsoft's offering.

4. Dre180 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem. What's strange however, is once I arranged by name it completely solved the problem. I'm not sure why this issue would recur after doing so..

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

You CAN do this with Icon view...

I have noticed that sometimes you have to do things a certain way for it to stick :)rolleyes:). For the window you want ordered, go to "Show View Options", this will open a separate menu, then click on "view by [name] (or whatever you want)". Then you can dismiss this menu (click on red button). It should be ordered properly now.

If this isn't working. I have a question. When was the last time you installed a new app or update? You may need to repair permissions with disk utility, then restart your mac. In this case, you may also need to do the above paragraph again.

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Not sure you all are understanding what the OP is referring to. I have also noticed this on Lion and Mountain Lion and it seems like a bug to me.

What happens is a folder has its contents sorted by name and everything is in a nice grid and then randomly you'll go back in that folder and a number of items have been shifted around out of the grid even though you haven't touched them. I'd say the best thing you can do is submit a bug report to Apple.

7. GRMM thread starter macrumors member

This is my problem. Any solution?

8. Dre180 macrumors newbie

I
    I definitely understand what they mean. It certainly seems to be a bug, but Benji's solution is essentially the same I used and finder has worked fine for me ever since. Its happened to me once on a external hard drive and once on the internal. The other time i just right clicked and arranged by name, and that also did the trick never having the issue again. So I'm not sure why it would continue to be a recurring issue for the op...