HELP! Finder gone NUTS!

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
okay someone has got to help me! my finder started quitting and launching about 5-10 times per minute. i managed to restart but still nothing. and i wanted to try repairing permissions but i can't get to the utilities folder to open anything! I have the programs i my dock accessible but that's it! someone help! :(

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
First thing to try is doing a Safe Boot (hold down Shift while the Mac starts up - if you did it correctly, "Safe Boot" appears at the Mac OS X loading screen). If the Finder behaves normally in this mode, you can then attempt maintenance tasks.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Get your system disk and boot off of that. Repair permissions, repair the disk and be prepared to reinstall the system as a last resort.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Passante said:
Get your system disk and boot off of that. Repair permissions, repair the disk and be prepared to reinstall the system as a last resort.
i just restarted with the install disk and repaired the disk and permissions and it is still doing it, i guess reinstalling is my only option at this point
:(

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Passante said:
If you repair permissions off the CD, please RE-repair them from Disk Utility after you login. The BOM archives that permissions repair uses on the Installer DVD/CD are (potentially) woefully out of date.

I think reinstalling the OS is a last, last, last, last resort, plenty of other things to do first to troubleshoot.

Another step to try is to boot into Safe Mode and remove your com.apple.finder.plist

Boot into Single User Mode: restart holding down Cmd-S

At the prompt type:
fsck -fy
(press return, once it's done and IF it says the equivalent of 'file system ok')

Then type:
mount -uw /
(please note that is mount<space>-uw<space>/)(press return)

Then type:
mv /Users/shortusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist /Users/shortusername/Desktop
(please note that is mv<space>/Users/shortusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist<space>/Users/shortusername/Desktop) (please note that "shortusername" needs to be replaced with your short user name)(press return)

Then type:
reboot
(press return)

Login as normal.. is the Finder still freaking out?

Example (rebooted Single User mode and now at prompt):
Code:
localhost:/ root# fsck -fy
** /dev/rdisk0s9
** root file system
** Checking HFS Plus Volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume YellowRules appears to be OK.
localhost:/ root# mount -uw /
localhost:/ root# move /Users/yellow/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist /Users/yellow/Desktop
localhost:/ root# reboot

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
yellow said:
If you repair permissions off the CD, please RE-repair them from Disk Utility after you login. The BOM archives that permissions repair uses on the Installer DVD/CD are (potentially) woefully out of date.

I think reinstalling the OS is a last, last, last, last resort, plenty of other things to do first to troubleshoot.

Another step to try is to boot into Safe Mode and remove your com.apple.finder.plist

Boot into Safe Mode: restart holding down Cmd-S

At the prompt type:
fsck -fy
(press return, once it's done and IF it says the equivalent of 'file system ok')

Then type:
mount -uw /

Then type:
mv /Users/shortusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist /Users/shortusername/Desktop
(please note that is mv<space>/Users/shortusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist<space>/Users/shortusername/Desktop) (please note that "shortusername" needs to be replaced with your short user name)(press return)

Then type:
reboot
(press return)

One minor niggle...you're confusing Single User Mode (what you describe) with a Safe Boot (as I described in an earlier post in this thread).

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
wrldwzrd89 said:
One minor niggle...you're confusing Single User Mode (what you describe) with a Safe Boot (as I described in an earlier post in this thread).
oops! noted and fixed. thanks for the correction.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
yellow said:

Boot into Single User Mode: restart holding down Cmd-S

At the prompt type:
fsck -fy

Then type:
mount -uw /

Then type:

Then type:
reboot
(press return)

Example (rebooted Single User mode and now at prompt):
Code:
localhost:/ root# fsck -fy
** /dev/rdisk0s9
** root file system
** Checking HFS Plus Volume.
** Checking Extents Overflow file.
** Checking Catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking Catalog hierarchy.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume YellowRules appears to be OK.
localhost:/ root# mount -uw /
localhost:/ root# move /Users/yellow/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist /Users/yellow/Desktop
localhost:/ root# reboot

thanks for the advice! I had thought about trashing the plist, but i first tried to mount the drive on another system on the network, get into the preferences and trash it from there. i restarted and bam, everything seems to work right so far :) thanks alot! :D