Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cristyn123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Hi, My startup disk was full, so i was deleting files. I realized I was transferring like 1000 files to my desktop, so i cancelled the process.

Now - finder, trash, desktop items wont open. I have a constant pinwheel. I never configured time machine so i can't restore. I can't even find my application, utility or HD-when on the rare occasion i can get the pinwheel to stop. I can get on line- but airport shows no connection to try and use time machine.

I have tried the alt/apple/P/R thing, I have forced quit and done the shift/3 chimes thing. None of it worked. I think the app/utility/Hd is deleted.

I can log on to guest account and it works perfectly! and all the apps i am missing on my log on are there. is there a way to admin the guest page and restore my setting from there? I did verify disk and repair on the guest page, but nothing has changed.

Is there anything I can do- short of buying an external disk drive and reinstalling. I have thousands of pics on here that i dont want to lose.

Version 10.6.8

Last edited:

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I misunderstood your question. I think you should be able to do a repair install with Lion and it should fix it. Aside from that I am not familiar with copying stuff from guest accounts.

yongren

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2011
I agree that reinstalling Lion would be best—if you're concerned about your files, use Disk Utility to copy your whole disk image onto an external drive, and later you can browse through and take what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.