Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
For all of my iPads I have always used folio cases with a solid front to it. Marware made the first one back in 2011 for the iPad 2.

The solid front flap snapped closed providing lots of protection. It also made it to where you could flip it open and hang it over shelves, rods, strings.

Back in 2015 when the 12.9 iPad Pro came out MoKo copied this style of case. I bought 6 of them as they would wear out after about a year.

I am getting the new iPad Pro (2021) 12.9 and desperately want something like this. Noone seems to make these anymore. Every case I see has a front flap that does not snap closed and they usually trifold. The only company that I know of that is doing anything like this is Pad & Quill, but their cases are way too nice and around $130-$150.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Speck

I have the Balance Folio for my 2020 11", and other than being a bit larger than I wished it was (due to the Pencil space), and a bit heavy, it's a nice case. Before purchase, I thought that the manual latch could be a nuisance, but in use, it became a natural action, and no doubt about its security. The magnetic camera protection flap is a nice feature as well.

It's not the ultimate in build quality, but certainly a step above the average cheap $10-20 cases found on Amazon.

Head to Best Buy for a hands-on look.

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I appreciate the suggestions. One key feature that I am looking for is a case that does not hinge on the back or front. One solid piece in the back and front that does not bend. The only bend is the spine that connects the front and the back.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
It will be difficult to find one that isn't hinged, and those that might exist will likely be from a smaller, or off-brand.

The tri-fold style is the most popular now, with the front fold/cleat style (like Speck), or back fold/kickstand (Zugu) less common.

I should also note that the back hinge on the Specks are also magnetically latched, so the back doesn't just flop around freely. Another nice, but not obvious detail.

The Torro is the same style, and does lack a front hinged cover, but has an elastic strap. Halfway there.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
For all of my iPads I have always used folio cases with a solid front to it. Marware made the first one back in 2011 for the iPad 2.

The solid front flap snapped closed providing lots of protection. It also made it to where you could flip it open and hang it over shelves, rods, strings.

Back in 2015 when the 12.9 iPad Pro came out MoKo copied this style of case. I bought 6 of them as they would wear out after about a year.

I am getting the new iPad Pro (2021) 12.9 and desperately want something like this. Noone seems to make these anymore. Every case I see has a front flap that does not snap closed and they usually trifold. The only company that I know of that is doing anything like this is Pad & Quill, but their cases are way too nice and around $130-$150.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Looking all over for the same. Want leather but didn’t want to spend 200 with shipping and tax. The toro has come out with a 2021 case. Looks interesting. But I found this one that I like better, in leather and less than 60. Yes, ready to order as soon as I order my new iPad!

https://www.amazon.com/Koogmoon-Genuine-Leather-Any-Angle-inch(Black)/dp/B093DD7FMW/ref=sr_1_13?crid=W0XFX8BHXFX4&dchild=1&keywords=ipad+pro+12.9+2021+real+leather+case&qid=1619419267&sprefix=Leather+iPad+pro+case+2021%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-13cf

weddlec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Thought I would update. I went with this one. I had to glue the hinged back part. It’s thick and durable. It doesn’t snap closed but it has a strap that can hold it closed. Hoping something better comes along.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
This! Well, I was looking for a Apple Folio replica on Amazon for 2020 12.9 iPad Pro, since both the 2021 and 2020 are nearly identical. I was beginning to worry that Apple perhaps enforced 3rd party case makers to stop making them. But I stumbled upon one.

edit: not sure about the one above, images show it’s using 2018 iPP 12.9”. I’ll be more willing to go with this one.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
I’m returning mine due to blooming/shadows and getting a 11, but pitaka makes a aramid (Kevlar) case that works with the Apple folio and Magic Keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.