Help finding a specific iMac configuration with worldwide shipment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nynte, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Nynte macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been saving for a specific configuration of the iMac, and I'd like to buy it now. However, the local Apple reseller is quite expensive, selling iMacs 50% more expensive than their original price tag.

I've been looking for my specific setup in eBay, but there's no i7 iMac that reached my location.

The configuration I'm looking for is: (Made using Apple's website)
    • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
    • ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    • 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    • Apple Magic Mouse
    • Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide
    • Apple Remote

(I'd be fine without an Apple Remote, and I would settle for the compact keyboard if that's the problem and buy another keyboard from the local reseller)

Is there any (trustworthy) online reseller that allows custom configurations or sells iMac in the configuration I want, that is able to ship worldwide?

Big thanks to anyone trying to help!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Specifically what country are you shipping to? That makes a difference - some companies ship to only limited areas (EU, for instance), but your location may be included.

3. Nynte thread starter macrumors newbie

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not to be a wet blanket, but your high-priced reseller becomes relatively cheaper when you look at two things:

(1) your import VAT for a computer is 16% (or is it 17%??), and
    (2) shipping a weighty iMac from another country (say, US or UK) is no small sum of money based on weight and size of box.

For example, even if you found the machine you wanted on eBay US and someone willing to ship it outside the country, you'd have to pay a pretty steep shipping cost and then get hit with VAT when you import it. That puts the reseller's cost into the same ballpark, doesn't it?

5. Nynte thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently the local reseller do not sell i7 iMacs, only i5 ones, so I guess that makes them out of the question.

If I add VAT to the i7 iMac price it is about 9,250 NIS (~$2,500). The local reseller sells i5 iMac for about 11,500 NIS (~$3,200).

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I'm going to throw another wet blanket over it.

Import Duty.

Not only will you have to pay VAT, you will have to pay import duty on your Mac. I don't know what that will cost, however expect it to be a lot.

Last thing.

The ONLY place that will sell you an i7 iMac brand new is the Apple Online Store on a BTO order.

Only the C2D and the i5 are available on standard retail.

7. Nynte thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the BTO and where can I find more information about it? Thanks!

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020