Help: Finding files with specific extensions. eg. .zip or .rar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Dec 18, 2007.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

I recently lost some very sentimental photos which are basically irreplacable, I'm pretty devestated and want to do anything to try find them again. I remember zipping them up to an archive, either zip or rar. How can I search my computer for them? Also how can I get a list of every single picture file on my compter? Any help would me very much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Finder Screenshots:

Attached Files:

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In either Tiger or Leopard search .rar or .zip in the Spotlight search bar in Finder or on the menubar.

In Leopard, you can have 'All images' in the sidebar of the Finder :)

4. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

I remember putting this archive on my iPod as a storage device. But its not showing up, although in iTunes it does state that I have 32GB of audio and 750MB of 'Other'.. Could it be hidden??

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

in the finder hit command-F to get a find window. The you can select 'other' in the pop up menu. 'Extension' is in the list that pops up now.

6. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.. any solutions for this one??

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If it is hidden that means that you have disabled "Disk Use" for the iPod. Enter iTunes and select your iPod and you'll find that option. Click it, eject your iPod and then reattach it. If you need more help let me know through IM and/or here. I've lost pics before and know how bad that is.