Help finding Japanese tea

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jeremy.king, Feb 14, 2009.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Anyone know where I can buy more of this online? I'd also like to know the name of it...Thanks

Attached Files:

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

That is an Ito-en brand "ryokucha" tea bag. "Ryokucha" just means "green tea" in Japanese, so any Ito-en brand green tea should taste the same (or similar enough). Ito-en has its own online store, or you can google around for Ito-en brand green tea.

Good choice, though. Ito-en is probably the biggest green tea company in Japan, very popular (t)here, too.
    Hope that helps.

irmongoose

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I am amazed at how someone here can answer any question(s) members post..

I read about ryokucha a while ago but forgotten about it (of course it would have done the OP no good since I cant read Japanese isn't one of my languages..)

4. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I too am amazed AND very appreciative! Thanks!

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You really can't find that tea? :confused:

I have a Chinese grocery store nearby that sells a bit of Japanese, Korean, Thai, and South-east Asian stuff as well, and I'm certain they have that. It's very common in Japan.

Go to an area around you populated by Chinese people (e.g. China-town), and see if they have the Japanese green tea at one of the many random grocery stores. :)

6. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Surprisingly, Costco also sells the Matcha Blend Ito-en brand of Japanese green tea. It comes in a box containing 100 individually sealed packets in nylon bags. The label on the box shows the same symbol as shown on the wrapper in the OP. It is marketed by Kirkland. It is very good in my opinion an reasonably priced (I think around $13 for the 100 bags).

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ I've had Matcha before, and actually really like it. It was a blend of matcha and other black teas but it was very good. Tasted full-bodied and strong, but not bitter.. Some teas can get bitter when they're strong, even if you don't let them steep too long.

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I highly recommend this if you like Matcha - I drink it nearly every night - its wonderful - just dont steep it with too hot of water (this is the top reason for bitterness).

9. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Too much effort when I can just ask the internet...

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

you should ask in the marketplace! :p

maybe somebody from Japan can run outside to a vending machine, buy you tea, and throw it in a box for ya :p

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

How do you know when the water is hot enough? Perhaps boil it, then let it cool for a few minutes? I usually just pour the water just after it reaches a slight boil, when small bubbles start to rise from the bottom of the pan. It doesn't taste bitter to me, but I add a half teaspoon of sugar. I don't care much for the flavor unsweetened, but I might get used to it if I tried it that way for awhile.

12. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Can you help me out? ;)

I see you live in Japan

13. mithrilfox2 macrumors newbie

That kind of tea was common in the Chinese grocery stores near my apartment in the US. Just visit any Asian market or grocery store and they should have a variety of things from different countries, including Japan.

If all else fails, get it online through an importer, such as www.jbox.com (Be careful, there's a version of that website that has loads of adult material, so take the non-adult one if that's your preference).

When I leave Japan eventually, I'll probably use that company to get my regular ファミ通 subscription that I pick up weekly, if they offer it.

P.S. 伊藤園 (Ito-en) is just one brand of green tea, and it's not particularly different from the other kinds. Don't be put-off if there's a different brand at your local Asian supermarket. They're all virtually the same. If you want something with more flavor, IMO, go for a brand of GENMAICHA (玄米茶). It's a combination of more than just tea, including roasted brown rice. Awesome stuff.

Here's what I'm drinking right now:

Attached Files:

14. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I'd love too...my parents on the other hand...welll

15. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I add sweetener to is sometimes.

Water boils at 212 degrees - green tea should be steeped at 160 degrees. I let the water come to a boil and let it cool down or add it to my cup and let it cool a bit. I also have a candy thermometer I use every once and a while if things begging to get bitter. After a while you can feel when the cup or the water is about right:)

Here is a guide on temperature and steeping for different kinds of tea: http://www.planet-tea.com/preparation.html

It make a huge difference IMO.

16. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Sweetener ≠ sugar :) Honey...

but I agree with you in general - might as well have sweetened water with the amounts some people put in it!

17. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I say to each his/her own, but I know someone who drinks green tea with sugar and milk, sometimes even cream. Sure, it's your tea, but that is just despicably disgusting.

irmongoose

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Why would you add anything to green tea? It tastes extremely good on its own.

I'm not a big fan of 玄米茶 personally. That kind of burnt flavor rarely agrees with me.

19. timerollson macrumors 65816

Green tea without any sweeteners is perfection.

20. Kitsune12 macrumors newbie

:eek::eek:

It's not burnt, it's roasted :p