Help finding new software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NRD-Robert, Dec 27, 2011.

1. NRD-Robert macrumors member

NRD-Robert

Hi Everyone, many threads have been started on this top before but here it goes...

I own a company in Sweden, and we are currently looking at some new software for managing our company, projects and tasks. Plus accounting software/money type apps.

We are a game development studio and also a professional service studio, we provide 3d viz and graphics and software to clients but also do internal game and software projects so its a difficult mix (at least find software to match)

software owners, do not plug with crappy software, everyone will agree there is some terrible software out there. so far i have tried Merlin, Daylite, Billings, Studiometry, Things, Omni(Stuff), some terrible online stuff and various others but just give me your thoughts everyone and what you using. Just to let you know we are at 8 Staff now, and its only going up, but we want it to be simple and not cumbersome.

Thanks everyone in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why did the above fall short?

3. NRD-Robert thread starter macrumors member

NRD-Robert

Merlin, is something that is on my "wavering" list.

Daylite just really isn't suitable enough for large software/game development, all though i like the CRM stuff.

Billings, mostly the same reasons as Daylite.

Studiometry is my favorite at the moment, the price is steep really like 200 dollars per license, thats gone rack up for us at 8 staff all ready and we will need more staff next year with all the work we getting.

Omni stuff, just is to fragmented. They really need to try do a all in one type program with all features or most features from there range of software.

Rest i have tried isn't really all that. Hardly worth trying, i do like things, and the wunderlist i heard is good. I will be using something like that for personal use, where small little tasks that wouldn't be put into the main project system.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Take a look at the Zoho suite of tools at zoho.com. I use some of the tools for my business and I find it all very useful.

I say 'some' because I'm too small to use some of the stuff I don't use.

Good luck.

5. NRD-Robert thread starter macrumors member

NRD-Robert

Zoho i checked out, problem is really as more staff use it the more expensive it will end up being. Paying per user, per project etc is going to start racking up the costs. We only just relocated the company from the UK to Sweden and have over 10 projects ready from people here (I say just, actually 7 months ago, just the Swedish Tax Agency are worse then useless).

6. NRD-Robert thread starter macrumors member

NRD-Robert

Just been trying out Contactizer Pro, Which is OK, but still lacking really. lacks some key project management processes.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Have you considered something open source like SugarCRM, dotProject, phpProject, eyeOS or Colabtive.

Of course you also have Google Apps for business free and paid too.
    Paid is $50us per user and you get some added benefits like support. There's also a large marketplace that you can use to add apps that Google doesn't make but all use their API to integrate. Some are free but most are paid but reasonable from what I have seen.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I think TigerCRM also has open source version.

8. NRD-Robert thread starter macrumors member

NRD-Robert

Cheers dude, i will have a gander at some of these and see what bites. I will report back what i find :)

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah let me know, I'm curious what you end up with.