Help finding out if speaker damaged.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebonics, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ebonics macrumors member

So the Logitech Z-2300 speakers I ordered off ebay arrived, and I plugged them in and played them. The sound came out fine, and I know the satellites work because I can hear them playing the songs properly, but my query resides in the sub. Not knowing much about audio, how much detail is the sub supposed to have. It sounds pretty vague, without my definition at all, although it is playing bass. Is that normal for these speakers? Or could they be damaged?
    How would i know for sure.
    I played a song without the satellites plugged in so the bass was only playing to get a better understanding of what sort of bass is plays. Like I said before it's very vague without much detail.
    What are the chances of a sub being damaged?

The seller has a 100% reputation with about 100 people leaving feedback and sells largely computer products and accessories.

2. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Subwoofers aren't directional.

They also only play a small amount of the audio signal. Say ~20Hz to 80 - 120Hz tops, depending on frequency setting in the cross over. As the frequency drops, you get less dB SPL, known as roll off.

If that's what you mean by "vague", then yes, that's normal. ;)

Hope this helps. :)

4. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

The Logitech z-2300 isn't a very accurate sub, either. It's loud, but boomy, and doesn't have a lot of variance to the tone it makes. When you contrast that to a tight, accurate sub, it seems like the more accurate sub is playing more because there's more variance between the beats.
    At least I think that's right (the sound differences, not that the z-2300 sub is boomy, I know that part is true).

5. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone, having listened to your advice I'm pretty sure the sub is in good working order.

6. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

I have another question, about my speakers, I'll just put it in this thread.
    I read somewhere the sub isn't magnetically sealed and it must be kept away from the computer.
    What does this mean?
    how far away from the computer my it be, and is it just the computer or all electronics?
    Also is it true the sub isn't magnetically sealed?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I looked at Logitech's site, and it didn't say one way or the other on the satellites or sub. :eek:

That said, it's common to find the satellites are shielded, and sub is not.

The magnetic fields generated can cause issues with electronics. The sub is usually far enough away (~18 - 24") from any of the computer components, and won't affect them. So they don't bother to shield it. Satellites were more of a problem, as they caused problems with a CRT's image, given their close proximity. Without shielding, they would permanently damage the CRT if allowed to remain in that location. Simple, inexpensive solution.

8. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

So is it only monitors that are affected by an unsheilded sub, or would putting say my iPod on top on the sub pose a risk to the hard drive?

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Monitors are far more sensitive to EMI than an HDD or Flash memory. The sub isn't considered a problem though, as there's an expectation of adequate distance. Your iPod uses Flash memory, not an HDD.

The EMF emitted by the sub isn't strong enough to wipe either the Flash in the iPod or an HDD. :) Monitors are far more sensitive. That's why even the small drivers in satellite speakers can affect them, and require shielding.

So there's not really anything to worry about with the subs EM emissions.

Now if you put an HDD or iPod inside an MRI machine, that would be another story. :eek: :p