Help Finding the Right 4 bay NAS Server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I want to setup a server at home that will more efficiently hold all of the movies, pictures, music that we have. Right now we have:

Mac Mini w/ external drive for movies

MBP 13" with external drive for pictures

Soon to get an iMac ....

I want to be able to access all of my music, home movies, videos, pictures on a home server so all computers have access to the same music library and pictures. I also want it to be some kind of Raid array so that we don't risk losing any data. This server will be backed up on the internet, but that is another topic.

I don't know much about NAS servers. Are there better brands that are good for Mac? I don't really know where to start. Any advice would be great.

2. purplehaze242 macrumors newbie

Have a look at Qnap or Synology for a good ( affordable) NAS.

I'm using a 4 bay Qnap at home, and it works great. use RAID 5 or 6 on them and you can have a one disk failure( raid 5 ) or 2 disks fail ( raid 6 )

Just remember, having Raid is not the same as a backup.. ( but if you backup the data to the internet as well you already thought of that.)

cheers,

PurpleHaze

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am looking at the following 3 models:

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ - $350
    Synology DS410 - $500
    Synology DS410j - $350

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never heard of that brand. I am leaning towards synology since they have iphone apps etc.

6. Arcanezxz macrumors newbie

I would stick with either QNAP or Thecus. I'm currently using a Thecus N4200 with RAID 5, but I will upgrade to a QNAP Pro 6 or 8 Bay in the fall/winter time-frame.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I've been pretty happy with Synology's products over the years. Used a DS-106e for a long time, recently upgrade to a DS-209 and have been pleased with the features and the network throughout. I wish I could've sprung for the DS-410 instead, but that unit was a bit overkill for our needs (and budget).