Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Im on a 2.16 MBP C2D and sometimes use firefox. The problem is that firefox sometimes makes words, bold words, and links run together. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but have the same problem. Any diagnoses/suggestions?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
go to ~/library/application support/firefox, delete everything(COPY out your passwords first!!), and firefox will create a new profile. That should solve most of the problem.

go into that folder, searching around and copy out the files.
1. bookmarks.html
2. signons2.txt
3. key3.db

these are bookmarks and passwords

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Thanks for the reply. It didn't work, however. I remember that it hasn't always been like this, and happened after one of the firefox updates. I figured that they had messed up and would have it fixed with the next update, but I guess not.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
I actually already switched to firefox 3. So far, everything is working well, except yahoo mail, but I have Safari for that. I would have posted a screenshot earlier but I didn't know how. Is there a simple way here on MacRumors or do I have to upload it myself?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
great, yahoo fixed their email for firefox 3, it is being deployed to their servers as we speak. you should have no problem with firefox 3 and yahoo mail very soon.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Cool... I think Yahoo also fixed the Safari problem because, before today, Yahoo would tell me that Safari was not officially supported. I never had any problems with it, just the middle step asking me if I wanted to switch the Yahoo mail classic. Are you a developer for firefox?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
no, Im a little bit above normal user, but way below programmer..

thanks, I appreciated it. :D

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
I have a new problem with firefox. I wasn't very happy with the beta so I decided to switch back to the current version. I still have the old problem but I've learned to live with it but now there is another "bug". Anywhere I click on any web page, a cursor appears and begins blinking like I'm in a text editor. I tried looking around for people with similar problems but had little luck. Is this actually a bug because I really don't recall this happening before I installed the beta.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
press "F7" (or (Fn+F7) on your macbook/macbook pro keyoard)

its a "text-mode" which is designed to help people using keyboard to navigate the page.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
How on earth could you possibly have known that?!? GENIUS... or I'm just retarded. Thanks either way! :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
lol, its really a very rarely know/used function, i stumbled upon it at some firefox forums year ago. :)

good luck

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Thanks for all the help. I finally got a screenshot of what is still happening with the text. This is from a yahoo page and you can see where certain links and rollovers run together with other words. This also happens with bold and italic fonts and there are very few web pages unaffected.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 47

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
this happen after a new profile?

I have seen this problem popped up previously, but I never investigate it since I didn't have it.

Try do a search here at MR... (I will do some as well later when I got time)

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
So Clevin, I take it you are the resident expert on FF ;)

I had another problem with FF today, but thanks to your advice resolved it in 2 minutes!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I try to help :), Im sure there are many people here or elsewhere knows more about firefox than me. Just fill in when they are not free, :D

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
Well it worked! :D What did you search for because I found pages about similar font problems but never something like mine. You wouldn't think that it makes that much of a difference but the pages look so 'clean' now. Thanks again! Clevin ftw!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
:) I think I searched google for "firefox ox font overlap"

You are very welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.