HELP, firewire + MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FutureTechHope, Jun 13, 2010.

1. FutureTechHope macrumors member

FutureTechHope

Hi,
    I just bought a DVD/VHS deck from Sony VX555.

I am trying to capture VHS tapes. I have a DV-firewire cable and when I go to Premiere CS5 or FCP 7, they both don't recognize the firewire or device. I tried restarting my program and deck but it still doesn't work. I also tried switching firewire inputs and still nothing. Please help.

2. WayneH1 macrumors member

The Sony site says the DV port is for INPUT, not output.

"i.LINK® for DV/Digital8® Video Input(s)
    : 1 (Front)5"

3. FutureTechHope thread starter macrumors member

FutureTechHope

Thank you so much "WayneH1" and "spinnerlys"

i-link is basically DV/firewire. It should allow two way transfer. I'm using a lacie firewire/dv cable. What do you recommend I do?

Am I stuck with only this option "Roxio easy vhs to dvd mac" ?

I was hoping to use the DV/firewire connection to capture my footage. Isn't DV faster and better than S-video plus analog R+L sound cables?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iLink and DV-IN/OUT and Firewire are names for the IEEE1394 standard, and many cameras and other devices are programmed not to have a two-stream capability, thus many cameras only have a DV-OUT, but no DV-IN, which seems to be the case with that VCR/DVD deck of yours, just the other way around. Maybe there is a hack somewhere to allow DV-OUT, but I don't know of that.

At the current point in time, it seems to be the best choice to either use an S-Video/Composite to USB capture device or use the DVD Recorder to record to DVD and then use MacTheRipper and MPEG Streamclip in combination with the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component to transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video from the video DVD to a .mov file using either the DV or Apple Intermediated Codec (AIC) for FCP 7 or whatever format and codec(s) Premiere accepts.

5. FutureTechHope thread starter macrumors member

FutureTechHope

Thanks "spinnerlys"

Wow. that was fast. Thanks for trying to help. Damn I hope there is a workaround. I remember using a VHS deck at school that had a DV connection that was two ways.

If anyone knows how to workaround this let me know please.

6. FutureTechHope thread starter macrumors member

FutureTechHope

spinnerlys

Do you think if I get the "Blackmagic decklink SDI pro video capture card PCI" it will work? I'm wondering if I can use the hdmi output behind the deck to capture.

7. jim.lynch macrumors member

8. FutureTechHope thread starter macrumors member

FutureTechHope