Help! Firmware update - MacBook won't shut down!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jisuo, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Jisuo macrumors 6502

I got the new firmware update so I closed down all applications and pressed the provided shutdown button.

BUT there was apparently a "Choose a folder" dialog box from Dropbox app open and not visible until now! wtf?

And now my macbook won't shut down, it just sits there with the Choose window greyed out and the rotating "loading" animation below.

What should I do? Is it safe to turn it off with the button even though it said DO NOT SHUT DOWN? I thought I read it would start installing after you press the power button again.

:(

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

After I downloaded the recent update of firmware, I close the software update page. Then, the firmware page pops up and ask me to shut down..So I did and it did...and then I hold the power button and a noise came back up and the computer restart itself after finish updating..Did you do the procedure wrong?....

3. Jisuo thread starter macrumors 6502

No everything went fine until I pressed the shutdown button. There was a "hidden" Dialog box open (Choose a Folder something) from an application somewhere and it has caused some error. Now OS X can't shut down because of that dialog box. I can't click it either (no cursor) and keyboard is non responsive.

What I wonder if the update has some kind of "special" shutdown or if it's just a normal shutdown? If it's a normal I could just hold down the power button until it turns of. Then turn it back on so the update starts? But I'm not sure if it has already started updating or preparing so if I press the power to shut it down everything will be a mess....

Ok, I just pressed the damn button and it seemed to be working. It's updating right now.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Why dont you try a restart using terminal:

Go to the folder Applications > Utilities and launch the terminal application.

Then type

sudo shutdown -r now

then press return

It will ask for your administrators password. Enter it and press return. Your computer should restart.

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

After it updates the firmware page should pops up and there should be a shut down button on it and you should be able to click it and your MB should automatically shuts down. THEN, press and hold the power button and you should hear this high pitch noise..then after your computer starts up..there should be a screen w/ a grey progress bar and after it finish progressing, it should allow you to go to your login screen...That's what it happens to me. After I login a pop up page came up and said "your firmware has been up to date" >> go to here and see if it helps you http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3260

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Ok, that's good :)