Help: First time Mac User.. Safari Will Not Open.. Bounces

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appledude411, Oct 14, 2014.

1. appledude411 macrumors regular

So, I am a PC user switching to a Mac. I bought a new macbook pro retina display, 16GB ram, 2.2 quad coremodel.. HAD THIS ONE DAMN DAY.

Beautiful screen, but the problem is i dont know what im doing.

I go to click the safari icon, nothing. Just bounces. Everything is up to date in the store, nothing needs updating. Does not work under guest account either.

I've been a PC user 15 years and never had problems like this before especially with a $2000 machine. I'm debating returning it. This is unreal. Getting really frustrated not being able to access the internet.

(Typing this from my old PC laptop)

2. appledude411 thread starter macrumors regular

3. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Give it some time. Youʻll figure things out. I hope your browser not launching doesnʻt completely deter you from learning how to use a Mac.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

This is a massive bug, this absolutely shouldn't happen.

Reinstalling OS X may help and if that doesn't work definitely go to Apple since I'm typing this post from Safari with no issues.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Eh??? almost certain this is just a mis-configuration that a reinstall will sort out, it doesn't remotely look like a bug (bad code), let alone a "massive bug", the internet is hardly burning down with bouncing Safari installs.... :rolleyes:

6. appledude411 thread starter macrumors regular

The reinstall fixed it.

Wondering if i should have waited for Yosemite instead of picking up Maverick.

No idea why this happened.

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

you didn't have to do a OS reinstall for something so minor. in the future click the Apple icon on the upper left and select Force Quit then select Safari. Then do a restart. It code of been an update that hung if this was the first time opening Safari. This has happened to me with my iTunes before, when it hung. FYI, a bouncing icon usually means the app needs some type of user action (pop up windows to click).

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

OK I thought something else:O

9. Macmark93 macrumors member

Macmark93

I wouldn't return it for a minor issue like this, hell you could of just downloaded another version of safari from a3rd party until the original decides to work.