Help first time trying this...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illmatic715, Jul 17, 2010.

1. illmatic715 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody! Just got my 13" macbook pro feels great to be apart of the Mac world. Lovin everything about the OS its everything I could ask for. I just got in the mail a Hitachi 500gb 7200 rpm sata hdd 2.5 and an external enclosure....I have 250gb in the macbook but I wanted to transfer everything to the 500gb and not have to install a fresh copy of osx on it so I can use it as the primary drive. How do I go about doing this? I want to have 250gb as secondary (storage) drive. Thank you so much!

2. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I've never done it before so I hope someone can correct me if wrong, but couldnt you just get a USB case for the new HDD and transfer everything to it via time machine then just swap the new HDD in?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Put the new one in the enclosure, and use something like carbon copy cloner to make an exact copy of your drive to the new one. Then swap drives and you're good to go.

4. illmatic715 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. i cant do that with time machine alust?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not what you want to do. Time machine will create a backup, but not a bootable disk, so that would really require a 3rd disk. I believe Carbon Copy is free as well.

6. illmatic715 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i just plugged in my external drive and this message popped up
    "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." Intialize... Ignore Eject.

I clicked initialize and I see Hitachi 500GB on the list but I really don't know what to do from here.

7. illmatic715 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I format it as?
    I wanna also install bootcamp and use windows 7.

Do I make 2 partitions ? Sorry for asking many questions.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

just format the entire disk in HFS+
    you should install windows after transferring everything to the new drive
    The bootcamp utility will take care of formatting and partitioning for windows

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Do the bootcamp stuff after formatting to HFS+ and you have copied your drive. Then install the new drive in the computer, then use bootcamp assistant, which will help you with the partitioning.

10. illmatic715 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that carbon cloner program. It worked excellent. I'm running right now on the 500gb hdd. Can't really notice the speed difference 5400 vs 7200 yet but anywho! What is HFS+ I just left it normal when it said partition for the 500gb and picked extened journalism or something like that. Please don't tell me I have to everything all over just so I can reformat the 500gb to hfs+...
    I tried using bootcamp just now and it said that the boot camp partition is not formatted to ntfs. If I click on it and hit format would that remove the purpose of boot camp and then it would not work?

11. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

OSX wouldn't run if it wasn't HFS+ so yuo're all right ;)

12. illmatic715 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I made a 25gb partition with boot camp and when prompted to select a partition during windows installation, it says the drive is not NTFS format. What shall I do?

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If you had read the brief bootcamp document provided by apple, you would have read that you must format the partition during the windows installation. I suggest you still take the five minutes and read through it. It will guide you and should answer any questions.

14. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Basically, you have to format it to NTFS if you want to use win 7. For whatever reason, it won't accept FAT32, which would be very nice. Anyhow, just tell it to format to NTFS