Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
I have a white 5G iPod and noticed some funny behaviour with it. I was listening to it on the bus the other day and noticed when i pushed down firmly on a certain part of it my left headphone (and the right earbud, but not so much) suddenly got louder. Sometimes if i pushed firmly enough it would stay louder for a while, but always go back to when the left earphone is quieter.

Here's a picture of where i apply the pressure to get it louder:
Ipod.JPG

anyone know what this could be?

I think, using the ifixit guide, gonna open it up and take a look around. they sell headphone sockets with the wire to connect straight to the logic board, and my thinking is the wire is at some point loosing contact.

any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
have you tried another headphone yet ? Just do this before you open your iPod.

yes, that was the first thing i tried. i've tried about 3 or 4 just incase, but to no avail. althought i don't see how pressing down on my ipod would affect the headphones, even when it is nowhere near the headphone socket.

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
i believe that is the area where the headphone jack and the hold switch connect to the mainboard im preety sure. so its definatly something with the connection. when you open it try taking out the connector and plugging it back in and see it that works.

Mr. Eko

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I also have a 5g 80gb, I actually have the same problem. The left ear is the one that is lower. I thought it was just me though, i don't know how to fix it.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
my sister's iPod video G5 with 30GB, has something similar. It doesn't have any sound at all on the right side. The headphones are ok, I checked them on my iPod. And I checked other headphones with her iPod. It really doesn't have any sound at all on the right side.

It 2.5 years old and out of warranty. I will put this iPod apart and see if there's a fix or I will exchange the headphone jack. If I screw things up she just buys a new iPod sometime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.