Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Can anyone give any advice on how to fix a loose powerbook power adapter. I know it's the adapter and not the DC in port on the laptop because it happens on both my laptop and my fiancee's laptop (both powerbooks)

Basically it just barely sits in the DC in on either of our laptops. the metal ring around the plug looks completely round still so I'm not really sure what's going on with it. It's really finicky and it sits in there and if you move the laptop it will sometimes just go off (no orange or green light) but will still be in the DC in port.

Any suggestions?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Are you sure it's not a loose wire in the connector itself, rather than a poor connection to the laptop's connector? If it's that touchy and follows the adapter, it seems like it'd be pretty obvious if it was that loose.

I assume it's actually loosing the connection, not that the light is just going out. Not much to try other than bending the ring in a little to try and tighten it that I can think of. (You might check to make sure the inside pin didn't get smashed inward or something, though--if it's not firmly where it's supposed to be, maybe that's where the bad connection is, not on the outside ring.)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
the inner connector is good for sure. the wire is good for sure. I can hold the connector in very firmly against the powerbook and wiggle the cord all around and the light never goes out, so the wire must be ok...
It's gotta be the connector ring itself.

CowboyTurbo

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2005
Beantown, MA
resurrecting this thread because I'm having the same issue. With the connector plugged into the computer, it stops charging sometimes.

Wiggling the plug will usually fix it, but even that's stopped working now.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
Yea, I never got it solved. I forgot I even posted this!

Thanks for reminding me.
I PM'd someone on here that was selling one for like 20 bucks, but never heard back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.