Help fixing Macbook pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noycepollution, Jun 2, 2015.

1. noycepollution macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. New here. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    I have a 2008 macbook pro. The screen is ripped off and I've been using it with hdmi TV for the past 2 years. The other day it just stopped working. I power it up and it doesn't make the mac sound and you can hear the fans fire up a little bit.. The fans never get up to full speed nor the usb fan under the computer. Somethings up. The tv just says no connection.

I've tried running it out of battery and hoped that it'd reset it in someway. And I've tried force shutting it down many times, still nothing..

Any suggestions? Is there a way to hard reset it with holding certain buttons or something while the battery is unplugged? I'm lost here.
    I'm running snow leopard.
    Thanks everyone!

-Elliot

2. noycepollution thread starter macrumors newbie

I hadn't before you posted. But now I have and still the same problem :(

3. noycepollution thread starter macrumors newbie

One more bump? Have no idea what to do, please help if possible!

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

It sounds like the damage done to it back when the screen broke has finally caught up with it. I'd say that the logic board is probably damaged and has been all this time, but still worked. Something you've done recently has finally broken something terminal and stopped it booting. It was probably fragile and you were lucky to get the extra use out of it.

5. noycepollution thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the reply. Sorta what I was fearing, just didn't make sense how it stopped working so randomly. Thanks again! I'll rip it apart and trash it.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

2008 MBP?

Your GPU died. It's a well known and documented issue with that model. You can try reflowing it, or swapping the whole logicboard.

Unfortunately for you, the extended warranty program offered by Apple for that particular GPU ended back in 2012.

7. noycepollution thread starter macrumors newbie

Reflowing?

Nevermind. I forgot that google's a thing :rolleyes: Too much. I think I'll just try and salvage what I can from it, mainly the solid state harddrive, possibly the keyboard, and trash the rest.