Help! Folder of documents vanished.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elginroots, Feb 21, 2008.

1. elginroots macrumors newbie

I know, I know, I should have everything backed up. But I didn't. So what do I do? I had a folder on my desktop with many files and folders inside of it. I was rearranging and sorting all my documents, when suddenly one of the folders disappeared.

-I searched for it by the folder name, but cannot find it.

-I looked in the trash, it is not there. (Trash has not been emptied either.)

-I searched for documents and files I know were inside of that folder, they do not come up in searches either.

-I tried to look for files in the folder using recent items, but none of them had been opened up recently enough.

What do I do? This was important. How could it just disappear into thin air? The ironic thing is, I was actually going to back stuff up after organizing my files.

I have an iBook G4 w/ OS X 10.4.11. I've never had a problem like this before. I have not yet rebooted, because I wasn't sure if that could cause me to lose a chance to find this folder and its contents. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Boot using System disk. Open disk utility

Repair Permissions
    Repair Disk

If neither work, try Disk Warrior 3

3. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

In the Finer menu, click 'Go' and go to recent folders. It may still be in that menu.

4. elginroots thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure I know what you mean. In Finder, click "Go?" I do not see "go" as an option.

I am going to try restarting with the disc.

5. elginroots thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I found it. Hm...the folder I'm looking for is not listed there, though one called NO NAME is. It says NO NAME cannot be found. I wonder if that was it?

6. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Then you may have to do what Consultant suggested. I'm not much of a tech expert so this is as far as I can go.... sorry and good luck. :apple: