HELP! Font issues after clean install

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by psstpsstah, Oct 24, 2013.

1. psstpsstah, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

psstpsstah macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This is the issue I have [the above "text"]. I updated my OS last night, and then this morning I discovered this. Since then, I have cleaned my font caches and checked to make sure no system files were missing... to no avail.

I'm at my wit's end, and I would greatly appreciate any help whatsoever!

Thanks!

----------

I've also had issue with flash setting text for a while. (Long before OS X Mavericks). This was easy to ignore, but maybe it's relevant. You tell me... please!
    [​IMG]

2. psstpsstah thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem resolved

I finally—haplessly—discovered the problem. And then promptly and successfully resolved the issue.

I stumbled onto the solution when I opened an old document in the updated version of Pages and discovered the all the text was garbled and numeral only (like above). Pages allowed me to view the font that was causing this, which was Helvetica Fraction. I did a quick and internet search, and it appears this is a common problem—the system swaps fraction for the Latin variation of the Helvetica family.

I deleted the Helvetica Fraction fonts, and cleaned out my font caches. Upon restart, the problem is gone!