Help For a Good Cause: Video Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Balin64, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Hi all,

I am a long-time member but I don't post as often as I once did. I'm on here now to ask for some much needed advice. I am the Production Manager at a non-profit Theater in Minneapolis called Mixed Blood Theatre. Our mission statement: Mixed Blood Theatre, a professional, multi-racial company, promotes cultural pluralism and individual equality through artistic excellence, using theater to address artificial barriers that keep people from succeeding in American society.

Okay, so on to the details: we have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 Ghz (May 2005) machine that runs our shows using QLab. Our next production requires three separate channels of video, and we only have the one stock video card in the machine. We have three PCI-X (not Express) slots available.

So, here's my questions: I understand that the PCI-X slots are backwards compatible with PCI, correct? If so, can we install 2 additional PCI video cards? Or, can we use PCI-X video cards for Windows and somehow flash them with Mac drivers?

Of course, there is the matter of budget: we have very little to work with. Would any of you have a spare video card that would work in this machine and be willing to donate it? I can email you an in-kind donation form you can use for tax purposes.

Many, many thanks. If you would like to know more about our theatre, go to www.mixedblood.com.

Being in theatre, I must end with this: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." Kudos if you know where the quote is from.:)

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

That's from A Streetcar Named Desire, right?

Anyhow, yes, PCI is backwards compatible (to a degree) with PCI-X. However, the number of graphics cards you can obtain for the Power Mac are not high. You'd need one that was made specifically for the machine, AFAIK there are no flashing tools for PC cards from that generation.

From a little Googling, it looks like these are the cards you can use (I could be wrong, someone else should know for sure):

Radeon 9650
    Radeon 9600
    Radeon 9600 XT
    GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    GeForce 6600

3. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Yes, It is from Streetcar.

Thanks for the list. I'm still looking into options, but this really helps. If anyone else has any tips, please let me know.

4. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Great. Thanks so much for the link. I think we can afford that. My concern is that I will be trying to drive two 50" Sony Plasma displays (one per card) It should work, right?