Help for a jailbreak noob?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mopatops, Jan 4, 2012.

1. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

I had my iphone 4 stolen last month and have been scanning eBay for a replacement. A used 32gb ip4 came up for £325 which is about £70 short of the average. I checked the IMEI hadn't been blocked/reported stolen and bought the phone.

The phone I bought is locked to Orange but I'm on giffgaff (a small network that run on the 02 network).

The phone arrived and I restored the phone to factory. It then asked me to insert my sim and then to plug in to iTunes which unsurprisingly told me the sim was not supported.

I want to jailbreak the phone in order to unlock it from Orange but have no experience with jailbreaking and am a little daunted. The eBay listing showed the phone on 4.3.5 but might this have changed as I restored the phone? Am I able to even jailbreak it yet as the phone shows only the connect to iTunes message.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

2. JoshAlder macrumors member

what might have happend is that you've restored to 5.0.1 which there is currently no unlock available, i believe.

3. mopatops thread starter macrumors regular

mopatops

The phone was restored without ever plugging into iTunes so it couldn't have downloaded 5.0.1.
    My main concern is whether or not redsn0w will jailbreak the phone because it hasn't been activated yet.

EDIT: My other option is to buy one of the £25 unlocking services from eBay though they state that they can't unlock carphone warehouse phones or replacements from Apple. I don't know if the phone I have is either of these...

Would it be possible to find a friend with an Orange sim in order to reach the springboard and then jailbreak from there?

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

After you get into the phone with the orange sim, you'll have to look at the bb. If it's higher than 1.59, then no software unlock. If it's higher than 4.10, no gevey for you either.
    You should've done some research.:rolleyes:

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

Get in Touch with giffgaff, they may be able to arrange the unlock. Vodafone unlocked mine for free as an existing customer after a simple email

6. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

If you were a orange customer for 3 months or more they would unlock it for £20 but as your not a orange customer I'm not sure if they will do you could always give them a call to see.

Lines are open between 08:00 - 22:00.

free from an Orange pay monthly phone:*

150 select option 1

from another phone:
    07973 100 150

from abroad:
    +44 7973 100 150