Help for an absolute newbie

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevo68, Sep 14, 2011.

1. stevo68 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I am hoping that some one will be able to help with an enquiry I have.

I am doing some work at our local school and they use mac OS X notebooks.

They have some loaded to Microsoft office products (ie powerpoint) etc and some loaded with Mac info (ie keynote).

I am wanted to use a Mac one (currently using keynote and will be using numbers as well soon for the project) which is fine.

My problem is that I have a presentation currrently set up as a powerpoint but I am now using it on one of the Keynote loaded notebooks and it will not allow me to edit the presentation click on the part to edit and it comes up with a frame text box but will not let me change the text in it etc.

Is it possible to do it? Do I need to open the powerpoint under keynote? I have tried it but am obviously doing it wrong.

I have a school computer here at home to fiddle with it and learn more about numbers program as well but I am soooo confused.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Alison

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

On the text prompt, is there an option to Duplicate/unlock? If there is, choose unlock.

3. stevo68 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not sure where the text prompt is? :( Sorry not familiar with Macs am with PC's though.

However I try and open (either powerpoint or odb file) it is saying it is read only.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm talking about
    Did you get any errors when you tried to open the powerpoint file in keynote?

5. stevo68 thread starter macrumors newbie

No no errors just shows the frame around the text and I can move that etc but not edit the text in it. I am sure it is something simple but no messages etc to tell me.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay, I have this exact problem in Pages. iWork apparently doesn't support text frames, which are apparently different from text boxes. However, I get this error message.
    Screen Shot 2011-09-14 at 11.47.40 PM.png

I can quadruple click to edit the text inside of a single box though.

7. stevo68 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooh I haven't quadruple clicked, will try that.

ETA: That will let me type over the text that is there but not change it.

Maybe I am better to do it all again in the keynote but I am not familiar with setting up presentations in either and am just being lazy and not wanting to do that.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Keynote is much better than powerpoint anyway.
    But IMO
    Excel>Numbers
    Word≥Pages, depending on how many features you need.

9. stevo68 thread starter macrumors newbie

The presentation has a navy (dark background) with wavy box in school colour over it and then the text is typed over that inside the wavy boxes (hope that makes sense).

I don't want to change the background at all only the text so I thought a save as would be easiest but like I said all come up as Read only or I can't edit them.

Yes a lot of people have said Keynote is better.

And they are going to be getting me to input some data via iworks (numbers) which I understand is the equivalent to excel and that is why I thought if I use both via iworks it will be better.

I thought it would be easy but I think it is going to end up being a big job to change it. At least with school holidays I have a few days.