Help for an idiot with a Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nomadski, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Nomadski macrumors regular

Having had great experiences with the Airport Extreme (on my PC) i bought the 1TB Time Capsule in readiness to use with Sonos i will be buying next month.

Unfortunately i didnt realise the TC doesnt work with the xbox 360. I read on another thread about using my old AE as a second router, or network, or something, but despite plugging the AE into the back of the TC i cant for the life of me get it to work. Its contstantly flashing orange, and everytime i try double clicking on it in Airport Utility it just takes me to the TC setup, not the AE.

Even if it did, i have no idea what settings im meant to use on either the TC (main router) nor the AE even when it would let me.

Can anyone offer guidance, or an alternative - would it be easier for me to plug my AE via lead into the back of my 360?? Would this work?

Thanks in advance.

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

Have you tried resetting the Airport Express? Use a paperclip and press the reset button for 30 seconds while plugging in the AE. The AE should then appear in the Airport Utility where you can set it to "extend" your current wireless network.

3. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

I havent got a Airport Express, its a Time Capsule and Aiport Extreme that i own.

As to extending its network, i cant change any settings on the AE as everytime i click on it in Utility it brings up options for the Time Capsule, not the Airport Extreme.

Getting pretty sick of it tbh, think Apple have really dropped the ball on this one, and will certainly be taking this back for a quick refund this afternoon if i cant find a solution.

4. r12ski macrumors newbie

I have my TC connected to my xbox360 fine. My time capsule is my only router and it is connected to the xbox via ethernet cable. Played COD4 earlier tonight. Maybe I didn't read your post correctly but I have never* had any problems with TC and Xbox.

*Never is always subject to change when dealing with an Apple product.