Help for how to set up Samsung 840

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevindk2, May 25, 2013.

1. kevindk2 macrumors newbie

I have searched on google for days to find out how people set up their SSD's like samsung 840 that doesnt support Mac OS X.

How to you install the support downloads when they only support Windows Vista and up?

What should I do when I have installed the SSD instead of the HDD?

Can someone please say step by step what downloads I should do, so my SSD runs as it should?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing special you need to install on the 840 for it to work. Just install the OS and your data and run it.

If you are referring to SSD firmware updates, there is a Samsung utility that makes a bootable CD for that purpose. See here.

3. kjb0419 macrumors newbie

Not sure what issue you're having, even if the SSD isn't updated to the manufacturers newest firmware it will work with no issues. Samsung 840s definitely supports Mac OSX, I've installed 3 of them with no issues. Let me know if you're trying to just install the OS on the SSD or if you're trying to update it and I'll give you the steps you need.

4. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i have read that you need to enable ACHI mode, and I honestly have no idea what it is or how to enable it

----------

Well I know how to install the OS but I am not sure how to update it or how to enable ACHI mode. (People say you need to do that when you get an SSD, I have no idea what it is)

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

ACHI is for MS Windows. You don't need to do that on a Mac.

6. Doward macrumors 6502a

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

if you had a windows PC you'd need to enableACHI mode in the BIOS. YOu have a Mac it will not run in anything but ACHI and you don'y have the option anyway .

8. kjb0419 macrumors newbie

As was said, you don't need it. Just install the OS like you would on a new HDD

9. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I have bootcamp installed?

----------

Thanks a lot! This actually helped a bit.

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Installing version 5.0 of the Windows support software installs the SATA controller in AHCI mode. Earlier versions leave it in legacy/IDE. There are hacks to making AHCI work with Boot Camp 4.0, but the process is a bit involved and there are a couple compromises. Hopefully you have a recent enough MacBook to where you can install 5.0.

11. kevindk2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh alright great, thanks. Another thing. I am going to put my SSD in HDD's place and the HDD is in the optical bay. I already have installed Windows 7 ultimate on my HDD. When I move it to the optical bay will i still be able to boot to windows without problems?

12. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Why?

13. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Because that's how most people with dual-drive setups do it...:confused:

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The rubber to absorb vibration and dampen shock is in the main HDD bay..

None of my varied "optibays" have rubber to dampen vibration and shock.

SSD's need neither.

15. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Also there are issues of compatibility with some MBPs and having an SSD in the optical bay. There are many articles and forum threads (here and elsewhere) detailing this.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I was generally 15" with some 17" thrown in and they were all from 2011 if I remember correctly though I'm sure folks have had issues with others.

I've done this on MacBook Pro's from '09 through '12 on varied sizes without issue..

The whole thing is sorta meh, try it both ways if it works only one way roll with it. If it works both ways put the spinner in the rubber.