Help for Installing Windows 7 Via USB on MBP 2010

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Proaxel, May 6, 2014.

1. Proaxel macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I recently got a Macbook Pro 2010 from a relative and I would like to install Windows 7 on it. However there is one big problem.... the Superdrive is broken, so I must use a USB drive to install it.
    My relative said he never dropped it or anything... it just stopped working. Luckily nothing is stuck in it, but still, he wasn't sure what happened.

Anyway let's cut to the chase... Here are the steps I've taken. It all went well until I ran into a big problem... see down below. I am running Mavericks 10.9.2 by the way.

1. First I Downloaded and installed rEFit. Rebooted twice to finish the installation.

2. Then, since Bootcamp doesn't allow creating a USB installer disk on 2010 MBPs (I seriously don't understand why), I forced it to allow by going into it's info.plist with a text editor and changing this:

<key>PreUSBBootSupportedModels</key>

To this:
    <key>USBBootSupportedModels</key>

3. Then I opened terminal and put this in (Without quotes):
    "sudo codesign -fs - /Applications/Utilities/Boot\ Camp\ Assistant.app"

4. Now that the assistant is obeying by orders, I made a Windows 7 USB install disk with a 16Gb Sony Flash Drive as usual.

5. Then I had bootcamp make a partiton for Windows 7 as usual

---Here's where I sort of ran into my first problem. I knew this part was going to take awhile, so I went to eat dinner. I came back about 40 minutes later, to find that my computer has rebooted, only it's stuck at the Apple loco! No spinning wheel or anything. Also the fans were spinning considerably loudly.
    I forced reset it (Hold power button). rEFit showed up as expected, with 3 options: OS X, the empty Windows bootcamp partition, and the USB Bootable drive.
    I booted back into OSX. I wanted to check if the partition was made alright, and that the computer hadn't crashed or anything.
    So I logged back in. No "Your computer was restarted.." messages. Checked Finder, and the BOOTCAMP disk was there in the side panel, along with the install USB. I assumed what just happened was probably just a bug. If anyone knows what exactly happened there, please let me know.---

6. So, then I restarted, and this time in rEFit I selected third option, the USB install disk. An OS X themed Windows loco then appears for a bit, then the screen goes black.

--Here is the wall that I hit. In the center of the screen the following appears:

Nothing happens when I press any key. So I force reset it, and this time chose the Bootcamp Partition. Same thing. Oddly enough, the Bootcamp partition is supposed part of the hard drive, not an external disk.
    So this is where I'm stuck. There doesn't seem to be anything on Google. There is a thread I found that has sort of the similar issue, but it's dated back to 2009, so I don't really want to bump that old thread.
    Did I do something wrong or what? Any help would be appreciated!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Macs that came with a DVD drive will only install Windows from the internal DVD.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It kind of looks like you were following this guide but you may have missed a few steps.
    http://www.yesthisbig.com/comments/index.php?action=show&id=3157&type=news

Here's an other method but it involves removing the hard drive, installing it into a Windows machine temporarily and then reinstalling it to the Mac:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/24708887#24708887

Also, if you have no Superdrive then where did you get the Windows USB installer?
    Not every Windows ISO is bootable and if the USB was created incorrectly that might be your problem.
    If the USB wasnt created with either Bootcamp or the official Microsoft tool then I wouldn't trust it.
    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

4. Proaxel thread starter macrumors newbie

-What I actually happened was I did my own research, and I came up with my own steps.... they had a flaw, apparently.:p

-I did not use a Windows USB installer or some other tool. In steps 2, 3, and 4 I made Bootcamp give me the option to make my USB bootable with a Windows ISO that I already have on my computer, then I did it.
    -Also I tested and confirmed that the ISO is bootable when I burned it onto a disk and tried on my iMac 2010 (which has a working Superdrive).

-I am not going to do the remove the hard drive method, as I only have my iMac 2010 as another computer.

So yeah. Maybe I could just follow the guide you mentioned, however there is a problem. The computer that the person is using has two hard drives, and instead of making a partition he is putting the entire Bootcamp on the other hard drive. So the steps i'm going to take when it comes to my situation are going to be quite a bit different from what he says.
    I guess I'm going to have to skip out on the Home Directory part, and then comes the part where you type in the terminal commands. I know it's going to be different for me, since i'm pretty sure the commands are for the second hard drive which I don't have, and i'm not sure what to type it on my own terms.... Do you (or anyone) know?
    (Thanks for the reply btw!)

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You betcha.
    But you know, at this point, if I were you, I'd just buy a new Superdrive.
    Aren't they like $40 on eBay?
    Your time and frustration have gotta be worth more than that.
    :D

Good luck.