Help For Iphone 5 Please!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cindy S., Oct 2, 2013.

1. Cindy S. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am wanting to buy an iphone 5 and need help to know what model number to get.

I currently use an iphone 4s with the reachout wireless program. They allow reduced prices for phone usage for people who qualify. They use Verizon as the carrier and have guidelines for what smartphones will work with their service. It has to be CDMA, does not use a sim card & be compatible with Verizon. My iphone 4s works with their program but I have no idea if there is a sim card in my phone. I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone and not have it be able to be activated. Any ideas?

Cindy

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think about the only thing you could do that would be close to your requirements is to buy a Verizon iPhone 5 (or the new 5c or 5s) at full price. All Verizon iPhones from the 5 on are fully unlocked (meaning that can be used on any network that supports their frequencies) because of an agreement with the FCC and Verizon.

If you buy a subsidized Verizon iPhone it's still unlocked, but it would be in contract.

Every iPhone from the 5 on at least comes with a SIM. Even the Sprint iPhones. So, you can't avoid that. However, this would be a Verizon iPhone and even without a SIM installed you should be able to use it on your network because it's CDMA. I am guessing based on your requirements though that your network does not support LTE (4G). The SIM card is what would give you LTE and all iPhone 5s and up are LTE capable.

Someone may know more than I. I'm on Sprint so this is my very first time having a SIM card. Doesn't help that Sprint treats SIMs differently than everybody else! :rolleyes: