Help for newbie please - which Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Patch Adams, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Patch Adams macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to become a switcher but having been waiting for the mac mini refresh since January I have had too much time to research and now am not sure if I know what to buy!
    I guess the best thing to ask is Mac mini or iMac considering what I hope to achieve?
    The old laptop is going in the bin as iTunes is starting to seriously affect it's (and my) well being S L O W!
    I have an ipad2 ATV2 and iPhone and ultimately want them to play nice and to continue to build my movie media library.

I really want to use PLEX instead of the plain apple tv interface on my living room HDTV and then move the ATV to the bedroom. So I was planning to hook up a mac mini via hdmi, However, I would need a keyboard and a mouse and would also look at increasing the hdd to 500gb and the ram to 4gb. Which now makes me think I should buy a basic iMac and hook that up to the tv.
    That way I get a better processor and a nice screen for computer use at not much extra cost.

BUT, would the iMac be alright if it is left on all the time?
    Would I get a good picture on a 46" HDTV via Dvi to hdmi without having to adjust anything?
    If the iMac was in an adjacent room and I ran a hdmi through the wall to the living room could I activate the iMac from my iPad to start watching movies?
    If I only want to use the Mac for HTPC, basic video or photo editing (beginner level stuff) and ripping and converting movies, is it worth the extra bother of an iMac and would a mac mini sat under the telly more than likely meet my needs?

I would love to hear views from anyone who uses an iMac as a HTPC connected to a tv

Sorry for the long first post

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I think you might want an Apple TV rather than to hook up your computer to the TV (which you can also do). It's a very simple way to build a media center on your TV without too much trouble. All Wi-Fi, too... and it can be jailbroken if I'm not mistaken. You can just stream to it from anywhere in your household.

Regarding Mac Mini or iMac... well, the Mac Mini in its current state is pretty outdated, and I would say that a refresh ought to be imminent. The iMac, on the other hand, has just been refreshed and would be a great buy. You should also consider that if you have a good monitor, you might as well just wait for the MMini refresh so that you can actually make use of it.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

I do believe you can access your iMac via an iPad. I know I could access my MBP via my iPhone (iTunes). There are programs that allow this and do a decent job, although I have no personal experience with them.

I leave my iMac on all the time and have experienced no problems. I think the iMac would probably be the best option and it is a superb computer to boot.

4. aery macrumors member

aery

I just bought an iMac a few weeks ago and I love it! Even more than I loved my first Mac, a MacBook, when I didn't think that was possible. :p

Also, I rarely turn it off. I haven't turned my computers off on a regular basis for years.