Help for Programming Noob!

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by cambookpro, Jun 8, 2011.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,
    I am quite young and want to get into iOS programming. I've seen the success of apps like Bubble Ball and just want to have a go!

I have Xcode, Dashcode etc. downloaded from the Apple website.
    I was wondering if any experienced devs could help me - where to start, any good books, online videos/tutorials and any general programming tips.

I am fairly confident in HTML and can do some ActionScript. Should I go on to Objective C and Cocoa straight away, or do you recommend starting on something like Java?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Take a look at the sticky thread at the top of the (the iPhone/iPad Programming) forum. it is full of suggestions for getting started. You managed to post this in the correct place first time which is (no joking) better than quite a few!

3. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks.
    I usually completely miss stickies, I think it's something to do with you automatically looking a 1/3 of the way down a page!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

To answer the Java question I wouldn't. Not because Java is not good (I use it a lot at work) but because it's not really going to help you that much with the APIs: Cocoa is very different to the Java library. And whilst the two languages are both Object-Oriented they are not the same.

I'd recommend learning some basic C so as pointer make sense then jump into Objective-C.

5. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks again.
    Just a quick question: which is easier to develop for: iOS or OS X?
    Obviously neither of them are 'easy' as such, but isn't OS X easier as you don't have to worry about Cocoa Touch?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You have Cocoa on OSX. If anything it's a more complex environment. The beauty of the iOS environment is the simplicity and how much it does for you. But memory management on iOS is much more critical.

7. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Also, remember to check out Stephen Kochan's Programming in Objective C 2.0. It's a great reference to many iOS developers.

Good luck with your development efforts. Things can be quite slow to start off with but with a bit of perseverance, you'll eventually get there :)

RTP.

8. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks for the help. I have added the book you mentioned to my Amazon wishlist, so I won't forget! Reviews are good.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Just be aware that the 3rd edition of "Programming in Objective-C" comes out June 26th.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am in much the same situation you are, just getting started. I did some research and found these books on Amazon, they are highly rated and the comments say they are very well put together and consistent.. a lot of reviews on other books were not so great. I am about to order them.

Learn C on the Mac (Learn Series)
    http://www.amazon.com/Learn-C-Mac-Dave-Mark/dp/1430218096/

Learn Objective-C on the Mac (Learn Series)
    http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Objective-C-Mac-Mark-Dalrymple/dp/1430218150/

Learn Cocoa on the Mac (Learn Series)
    http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Cocoa-Mac-Dave-Mark/dp/1430218592/